Chp. 1

Holly's Pov:

I just landed in Colorado and i see the Walters waiting for me at the door. I'm not fully sure if i should be sad or not because its a new chance to be someone else and forget all of New York or its a chance to have according to the phone calls I've had like 12 daily reminders of new York. I walk over to them and Kathrine engulfs me  in a hug. I'm not sure why but i almost break down crying. It's not like i am emotionally weak quite the opposite in fact in New York i was known as cold and distant and by extension "indestructible" i had one close friend and she left me when she heard my family died because she didn't know how to act and got uncomfortable around me. there was just something about this hug that made me feel safe and i haven't felt safe in a long time. 

     When we get to the ranch i'm in awe, it's the most beautiful place i think I've ever seen, it was just mountains for miles almost as far as the eye could see. i looked to my left and saw a barn and another small building that i came to learn was the workshop. Mr. Walter took me inside and introduced me to two boys who were playing video games Alex and Issac. When i walked into the room Alex looked like he was in a trance he couldn't stop staring at me until his dad asked him to go get my stuff from the car and take it to my room. he leaves to do that and we continue our tour. next a man in his early twenties walks in and introduces himself as Will he then takes over my tour and we head back outside to the other side of the house where there is a pool with three people that i can see around it will points to the little boy and girl says "that is Benny and Parker and the boy with the camera is Jordan." just then i heard a splash when a boy with beautiful blonde hair gets out of the pool and goes to sit on a lawn chair. Will asks "well do you want to introduce yourself" the boy squints at me with a smirk and says "she'll figure it out" Will sighs and says "that's Cole, Mom says you have to go to the barn and take Holly's stuff upstairs" the last part being directed at Cole.

when i'm finally showed my room its super messy and Will says it used to be the art room. there is paint supplies and canvases everywhere plus boxes and boxes of random art supplies so that makes tons of sense.

the next morning i get ready for school and head down to the car without eating when i get there all of the boys are already in there we pull into school then the boys get out of the car and the anxiety hits hard, i'm frozen in my seat clutching my backpack when the door opens Cole is standing there he looks concerned before saying "you alright New York? c'mon your wearing a badass leather jacket jeans and high top and your scared of school no way out of the car now or i'm locking you in." the sarcastic nature in you takes over and you retort with " your mom would kill you and you know it plus i'm too likable for you to do that hence the compliment on my outfits you just gave me." he stands there stunned as i sweep past him into school getting ready to start my first day of hell. before lunch i had English when i walked in i saw Alex sitting alone so i walked over and asked if i could sit with him he happily agreed. when class started the teacher asked me to introduce myself so i did and when he asked why i  moved i said "because my adoptive parents and sisters got into a car crash and died." plain and simple, i sat down.  the teacher stuttered out an apology and started class, Alex was staring at me in shock and awe.

      I walked into lunch and got in line for food when Cole walked over "what are you doing?" he asked "getting lunch" i replied putting as much sass as possible in my voice. almost the entire cafeteria was looking at us as he dragged me to the front of the line and picked out my food for me. as we walked away from the line i went to sit at an empty table. when i sat down Danny, Nathan, Alex, and Cole sat down with me. i was shocked why they were so nice to me? that's when it hit me... their mom told them to be nice they don't actually want to sit with me. "guys drop the act I know your mom told you to be nice to me you can stop now. Cole go back to your football friends, Alex go back to the library to play computers with Kiley, Danny go back to your theater friends and Nathan go back to wherever you normally sit. i don't want pity. " "so leave" i added after they all stared at me like i was crazy. It's not that i didn't like them i actually really wanted to hang out with them but they were doing this out of pity i don't take pity favors. they all slowly got up and left besides Cole he stayed around just to say "our told us to be at bare minimum pleasant but she never asked us to change our daily routine for you we did that as a choice." and he walks away. i feel terrible i shouldn't have yelled at them they were just being nice. its probably for the best that I push them away i'm not exactly known for being "friend material" but i'm still going to apologize and that will be that.

in the hallway i see Cole and i head over to him he looks down at me with a bored look and says "i thought you didn't want to be near us" in a sarcastic tone. "i know i said that but i came to apologize you guys were just trying to be nice i shouldn't have snapped at you" i say in a rushed tone only stopping to breathe once before i continued "I've never been good at friends it was always my sisters and my one other close friend and my sisters died and my friend left me so i thought it would be better if i just pushed y'all away" he looked stunned. "you shouldn't be sorry for being closed off, i should apologize too but that would ruin my cred so i wont but at least you know it. What's your next class?" "art why" "because i'm going to walk you there duh""you don't have to, i don't need you to, i can find my own way" "i want to, New York just let me, ok?" "fine" when we get there i take a seat next to Skylar and Grace i look at Cole and say "thank you it wasn't nessicary though" "sure it was" he winks at me and walks out. Grace and Skylar are smirking at me like 'what the heck' i turn to them and say "i'll tell you later"

at the end of school i'm walking with Skylar, Grace, and Kylie and they asked me if i'm riding home with Cole i said yea and then checked the clock it was 3:25 i had five minutes ,shit. i start running and right as i get out the door i see them drive off, assholes. Grace offers me a ride and we go get ice cream. when i get home dinner is ready and i sit down and feel something moving so i pick it up and its the biggest snake I've ever seen i drop it and run to my room. 

later I come back to my room and Cole is in there dropping off food for me because i didnt end up eating as hes about to walk off he turns and asks "do you want to go do something?" "I can't, i have homework because i got home late" i said the last part pointedly so it reminded him he left me at school. "oh yea sorry about that i should have waited..." he hesitates before saying "let me make it up to you." i think about it for a second then agree. 

as we walk down to the pasture i'm reminded of my life before New York when i lived in Montana on a ranch. he shows me a beautiful beige horse named custard while we are talking Alex comes up and says "Erin's here" Cole sighs and says " that's my cue" and walks off Alex comes up and pets custard "did he show you all the horses?" "nope just custard" he smiles and says "custards great but let me show you my favorite his names Murphy" we walk into the barn and standing there is the most handsome brown horse I have ever seen. "he's beautiful" i say as i stroke its mane. just then Cole walks up and asks me if i know how to ride i said" yea i used to a lot before i moved to new york" "oh really want to go for a ride? you can ride custard!" "sure" great i'll go tack the horses up." i noticed Alex walked away, huh whatever i follow Cole and ask for Custards gear hr says "are you sure you know how?" "yes" "ok fine" he hands over the gear and i go tack up custard once im done i get on custard and go find Cole he's not even close i giggle and say " i think you the slowest person to ever tack a horse in existance" he rolls his eyes at me adorably and says "no your just really fast" "sure, sure" once he's done he gets on Murphy and we leave. we trot through a really pretty meadow until we find this really majestic creek. i watch Cole get off Murphy then i hop off Custard. we tie them to a tree and go sit near the bank of the creek. he looks at me and asks "am i forgiven" totally" i respond with a smile.

A/N: thats chapter one! omg i did that in like thirty minutes that's the fastest i've done anything! feedback is encouraged and appeciated thanks!

word count: 1783