Yawns

Jason Grace tells me I need to get out more often. He's my roommate and my best friend, but sometimes I get to be too much for him. Unfortunately for him, I don't believe in soulmates. He's already met his--A sweet Cherokee girl named Piper Mclean. 

She's really sweet and we hang out sometimes, despite feeling like a third wheel on her and Jason's dates. 

The rule is that you and your soulmate always yawn together. When one yawns purposefully or accidentally, the other yawns immediately. No exceptions. It's a perfect way to mess with people into thinking your hearts are interconnected.

There are instances when I'll hang out with Jason at Mcdonalds and purposely screw with other people's dates. If I don't get love, neither do they. 

"Nico, buddy-" Jason smiled falsely, patting my shoulder. "Piper and I are going to a restaurant tonight for our three month anniversary. Will you be okay home alone?"

"Jason, you sound like my older sister," I scowled, crossing my arms. "Yeah, go out with Piper tonight. Have fun. Enjoy yourselves."

"Really, you don't sound so sure-"

"I'll be fine," I promised, smiling gleefully as he sized me up. "Don't worry about me. Pretend I don't even exist. You and Piper will remember this night when you get married, and I'll be your best man, got it?"

"Listen-" Jason's face turned bright crimson embarrassingly. "Nico, I'm not proposing to her."

"I mean, you might as well."

His face tightened. "You're not helping. Do I look okay? I can't see Piper looking like a slob."

A humorless laugh escaped my lips. "She literally dragged you home drunk two weeks ago. I saw you. Literal spit bubbles emerged as you tried seducing her. Trust me, she'll like you either way."

"Thanks," He spat, grabbing the Tesla car keys his father had given him for his last birthday. "Maybe you should go somewhere too. It'll be fun. I shouldn't be the only one having fun."

I shrugged merely, switching channels on the T.V. to avoid the topic. "Nah, I'm not really much of an introvert."

His face went blank with sarcasm. "It shows. If you never get out there, you'll never meet your soulmate."

"What's with you and my soulmate?" I blurted, throwing my head back on the top of the couch. "I don't really care whether I meet them or not. If we're destined or whatever, it'll come naturally. Isn't that how it works?"

"I mean, yeah, but you'll meet them sooner or later," Jason argued, eyes on his watch while he calculated the time. 

"Like I always say, 'better late than never'!" I joked, holding a solid smile while he groaned. 

"Nico, just go and get a happy meal or something." His expression was priceless as he buried his head in his hands. "It'll fill you up. You're so gaunt."

"I don't know what that means," I shivered, pulling my aviator jacket over my shoulders. "Besides, it's freezing outside. I'm not moving an inch."

"Nico."

"Whatever, Grace," I spouted, tugging my shoes reluctantly over my feet. "I'll go to Mcdonalds and talk to myself, maybe watch some Tiktok while I'm at it. Good?"

"Good enough." Jason shrugged, exiting the apartment while I followed behind him. "Don't have too good of a time."

"Jason, it's Nine P.M. on a school night. Like that'll happen."

It took a solid five minutes for my food to be prepared by exhausted employees yearning for sleep. The waiter called out my name, not expecting a college student to be claiming the six piece. It was all for the toy, mind you. But I couldn't tell him that. 

"Are you Nico Di Angelo?" The man asked me skeptically, cocking an eyebrow. "You seem awfully old to be grabbing a happy meal."

"Not old, just tired," I sputtered, gaping at the beautiful man in front of me. Eye bags remained under his eyes while the fluorescent lights reflected off his sky blue eyes. 

He chuckled. "Ain't that the truth. Honestly, man-"

He cut himself off with a yawn, which I released at that exact moment. We stared at each other for a minute, eyes wide. 

"Did you just-" He peeped, cheeks turning crimson red with embarrassment. "You just yawned."

"I didn't yawn on purpose either-" I shuddered, avoiding his eyes. "That's what really scares me."

"Does that mean we're-"

"Will Solace!" A bulky man from the kitchen bellowed. "Get your rear end back in here and work. Talk to your boyfriend later."

"Sorry, that's my manager. Can you come back in ten minutes? That's when my shift ends," Will asked calmly, scratching the nape of his neck. 

I nodded hastily. "Yeah, yeah I can. I'll be at the booth in the corner of the room."

As soon as I sat down, I called Jason. If I was interrupting something, he'd scold me later. I had to tell him everything. 

"Nico, what is it?" Jason growled into the phone. "I just picked up Piper."

"I literally just met my soulmate."

Jason's end of the phone went silent for a minute. "You what?"

"I met my soulmate. He's an employee at Mcdonalds," I cheered quietly into the phone. 'You don't understand, he's the hottest man I've ever seen in all my years of existing. We yawned at the same time as I grabbed my food."

"That could just be a coincidence," Jason urged carefully. "Don't do anything drastic."

"I won't," I scowled, eyeing the boy as he passed food down a long table of college students away from me. "I'll talk to you later. Have fun on your date."

"Nico, be care-" I hung up before he finished the sentence, staring at my soulmate for about ten minutes before he sat down casually next to me. 

"So, what's your name?" He asked me. "You already know my name, I guess. I'm Will. Will Solace."

"Nico Di Angelo," I introduced myself, blushing a slight red in my cheeks. "It's funny that we met here of all nights."

He cocked an eyebrow. "What do you mean?"

"My friend Jason made me come here by myself tonight while he's on a date," I scoffed. "I'm glad I came, actually."

"No way!" Will grinned broadly. "You mean Jason Grace and his girlfriend Piper? He's in my English class!"

"He's my roommate!" I announced, pulling up a picture of him and I together. "That's so weird. He's never talked about anyone like you before."

"Are you the mysterious emo guy he talks about?" Will wondered. "That makes so much sense."

"I'll kill him," I sneered. "Tell me about yourself, Will. If we're soulmates, we better get to know each other."

"I'm from Texas, to be frank."