First Words

When a teenager officially turned 18 years old, or an adult age, a tattoo is inked onto their skin automatically. The contents contained what their soulmate's first words towards them would be. Most people had a 'hi' tattooed on their wrists, but do you know what mine said?

"Oh good golly, I dropped my beans"

Frankly, I was afraid to meet my soulmate. I didn't even like beans that much! They sounded like a messy person. 

The tattoo on my wrist caused a lot of turmoil between snobbish college kids and myself in my sophomore and freshman year at college. Kids thought I was weird for having that, and the drama kids assumed it was one of them using improvisation tactics.

I sincerely hoped it wasn't anyone at my college. They all proved to be really dumb at some times. 

"So, dweeb, when are you going to find him?" Bianca, my older Senior sister, asked over my shoulder. "You're so boring it makes me sick."

"Thanks, Bia-" I scoffed, shoving her hand hard off my shoulder. "He'll come to me if he's serious. Those first words will surely be memorable."

"Well, it'll be easier to find him if his first words are really stupid," Bianca shrugged, sticking her tongue out at me. For being a 22 year old, she was surely immature. "That's really an advantage."

"Whatever. I've got to get to class. Text me later?"

"Sure."

Meeting one's soulmate was allegedly the most magical sensation. Your mind would swirl with thoughts about them, love catching your heart. The only attraction I would have towards my soulmate would be regret and shame. 

Fortunately, my roommate wanted nothing to do with me. His idea of finding his soulmate was going out on dates with every girl in the entire school. There was one issue with his idea: Nobody wanted him.

As I walked down the hallway to my art class, my eyes scanned over a small friend group of college kids talking in the corner. My eyes wouldn't leave a specific boy, but I was snapped out of my trance just as the bell rang. 

"Shit," I mumbled, rushing towards the classroom while managing to keep my pencil in hand. "I'm going to be late for class."

That boy stayed in the back of my mind for the rest of the day. His features seemed so beautiful and his figure was lean and muscular. 

"Mr. Di Angelo?" My art teacher, Ms. Haines, snapped her bony fingers in front of my face. "Do you remember what we're doing for the project?"

I nodded hastily. "Yeah, we're sketching someone we encounter in our everyday lives."

A small smirk grazed across her face. "Correct. Any idea who you're sketching yet? Any special person in your life?"

The guy in the hallway. "Um, probably just my sister, Bianca," I sputtered, heat arising in my face as I thought about his features. 

"Sure," She chuckled. Ms. Haines moved from student to student, wondering who they were going to bring to life through art. Most of my classmates chose their soulmate, if they'd found them yet. 

My friend, Jason, nudged my shoulder. "Are you really going to sketch Bianca."

"Yes. Why?"

He grinned, gesturing towards my red face. "Oh, nothing. You're just blushing, that's all. Who'd you meet?"

"Nobody," I scowled. "Let me pay attention to my page. Bianca is going to win that art competition for me."

Jason pursed his lips. "You're going to find him one day, you know. It doesn't matter what he says first, as long as you love him."

"Love is a strong word," I mumbled while sketching the outline of my drawing. "I'm not sure it's a good word for my soulmate."

After a few minutes of small talk, my outline was completely finished. Jason took a good look at the paper and died laughing. 

"Man, I don't know who that is, but it is not your sister!" He cackled, snapping a picture of the man in front of me. 

My eyes widened in shock. The whole time, while Jason was distracting me about love and soulmates, I'd been drawing the guy in the hallway. 

Nico, what is wrong with you?  I thought to myself. "Jason, what is happening to me?"

He side-smiled. "You're falling in love, I'm afraid. I think I recognize this guy, actually."

I whipped my head around to face him. "You do?"

"He's in my biology class," Jason chuckled. "I think his name is Will Solace. We had a group project together last year."

"I must meet him!" I pounded my fist against my palm while Ms. Haines looked over my sketch. 

"Oh, Nico," She giggled. "That's not your sister. We're all family here. Really, who is that you're drawing?"

"A boy I saw in the hallway before this class," I grumbled while burying my head in my arms. "It's complicated."

"Talk to him," Ms. Haines commanded gently. "Who knows, maybe he's your soulmate."

I slid my sleeve up my arm to reveal the words on my wrist. Her eyes trailed over the words gingerly, stifling a laugh. 

"Let's hope those are the words he recites," She shrugged. "Now, get back to work, boys. This is due in three days."

At lunchtime that day, Jason and I sat a few tables away from the blond beauty I'd sketched in art class. 

"Go talk to him," Jason nudged my arm, pushing me towards Will's table. "He has baked beans on his plate."

"Lunch is almost over," I reminded myself. "It's now or never."

I stood nervously from my seat in the cafeteria and walked towards his table as he began to rise. I glanced back at Jason, who was cheering me on. 

Suddenly, as Will and I rammed into each other, I felt wetness on my shirt. 

"Oh good golly, I dropped my beans," He scowled, setting his tray on an empty table nearby. "Wow, I'm so sorry."

"You fucker," I mumbled while wiping the bean juice off my shirt. It suddenly hit me after he said those words, and my eyes followed my wrist. He seemed to be doing the same. 

"Wait a minute-" He paused, staring down at my wrist. "I just said that."

"I just said that!" I pointed at his wrist. 

We stared at each other for a hot minute before his friends started laughing. Our faces burned red as we avoided eye contact. 

He held out his hand. "I'm Will. Will Solace."

I shook it gingerly. "Hello, soulmate. My name is Nico Di Angelo."

Behind me, I could hear the fangirling screams of Jason coming from our table.