Singing Aloud

Let me get one thing straight first: I was such a dumb child. 

When every kid turns ten years old, they're allowed to decide how loud they want the volume of their singing to be. What I mean by that is how soulmates basically find each other. 

When someone sings a song, no matter how loud, their soulmate always sings it in sync with them. People were always lucky to have their soulmates be popular artists, since the concerts they held were always dead giveaways. 

When I turned ten, my mother had already passed away. My father had never been big on soulmates, since he lost his so early. On my tenth birthday, he was away at work. When the decision finally came, my sister jokingly told me 50. 

50 was the loudest you could sing when your soulmate sang anything. I didn't know how soulmates worked, so I chose the highest setting. 

Now, almost seven years later, I'm still paying the price for my idiotic decision. My soulmate must sing a lot, because I broke out into lyrics I'd never sang before almost every day at different times. 

They were definitely a shower singer, so I mostly ran home faster than the speed of light to avoid stranger staring at me for singing so loudly. 

"'Cause you're hot, then you're cold

You're yes, then you're no

You're in, then you're out

You're up, then you're down"

"You're such a nerd," I scowled, already realizing the music he listened to. "Katy Perry? Really?"

I automatically knew my soulmate was a boy because of my sexuality. I was openly gay at school, even though a few people weren't appreciative of that. Luckily, High School wasn't like the movies. Nobody was out to kill me at every waking moment. 

"We used to be just like twins, so in sync

The same energy, now's a dead battery"

"Idiot."

Part of my introvertedness was the panic when I was out in public and singing. It was like my soulmate had no mercy, embarrassing me everywhere I went. 

But, by singing so loud, I knew my soulmate was in 11th grade choir. The class was everyday at 4:00, shortly after the final bell rang. I would never go there, but I knew I'd meet him one day.

In the cafeteria, I sat down beside my best friend. Will was nicer than most to me, mostly because he sympathized about my mother. He'd lost his father, so he was also hanging on by a limb for money. 

But he didn't care that I was gay. In fact, Will Solace was a raging bisexual. Both genders fell in love with him, making me only slightly jealous. 

"Neeks!" 

Craning my neck, I locked eyes with Will. He was grinning madly, holding a small notepad in his hands. "What songs did you hear today? We separated today in groups and sang different songs."

"I think he sang 'Everybody Talks'," I answered promptly, the lyrics almost burned into my brain. "Yeah, that's exactly what he sang."

Will's grin faded, his jaw slightly lowering. "That really narrows it down! There were five groups with about seven people in every group. My group actually sang that song, so there's only five people it could be."

"Five?"

"There are two girls in my group," Will clarified. "Wait, if your soulmate is in my choir class, then will you still be able to make it to my concert?"