Song Lyrics

In a world where music is the only means of connecting with your soulmate, I've been known as some kind of matchmaker. All my friends have already found their soulmates with my help. 

My father is a famous musician, so I learned to sing and write my own music at a young age. Recognizing music of all kinds became an average skill of mine. Until I learned about how soulmates worked, I didn't think my talent would actually help me in any way.

When your soulmate mouthed the words to song lyrics, their voice would appear in your head, singing along with the song they mouthed. The boy's voice in my head was peaceful and tranquil, not belting or obnoxious. 

"When are you going to be the matchmaker for yourself?" My half-sister Kayla asked me, irritated. "Austin and I found our soulmates thanks to you."

"I think it's about the time we return the favor," Austin continued, glancing at our sister. "Will, you need to connect with him."

"What kind of music does he listen to?" Kayla wondered, knocking on my head like a door. "Pop? Country? Rock? Rap?"

"Please not rap." Austin crossed his fingers.

"You're overreacting," I urged, pressing my hands against Austin's crossed fingers. "Don't worry about it. He listens to Fall out Boy and Queen."

"Huh, weird combination." Kayla scratched her temple, befuddlement clouding her expression. "Is he singing right now?"

"Not currently-" Suddenly, a soothing voice flowed through my head as the words appeared on the insides of my eyelids. 

"Well I came home

Like a stone

And I fell heavy into your arms"

"Wait, I hear him singing again." My hands covered my siblings' mouths as I listened to his majestic voice. The song he was listening to seemed unfamiliar compared to the other ones he usually listened to. 

"These days of dust

Which we've known

Will blow away with this new sun"

"I've definitely heard this song before," I mumbled, tapping deep down into my brain to remember the song. "It's in a children's movie, I think."

"Sing it for us!" Austin demanded, pushing my hand away from his face. 

"But I'll kneel down

Wait for now

And I'll kneel down

Know my ground"

"That song's in Ferdinand!" Kayla cheered, high-fiving Austin gingerly. "It goes I will wait, I will wait, for you!"

"And I will wait, I will wait for you

And I will wait, I will wait for you"

"You're right," I scowled. "Huh."

She smiled smugly. "You say that as if you're surprised."

"That's because he was," Austin mocked her sarcastically. The two bickered while I tried to focus on the song he was listening to. 

Through the window, I heard the convenience store automatic doors open. Usually, the speaker's loud music flooded through the not-quite-soundproof doors when customers left. 

"So break my step

And relent

You forgave and I won't forget"

A black haired boy my age exited the store with a bag of chips in his hands, his lips swaying to the sound of a song. His stupidly sweet grin melted my insides while Kayla observed me watching him. 

"What song is he mouthing?" She demanded. 

"Know what we've seen

And him with less

Now in some way

Shake the excess"

"I can't see far enough," I squinted, wishing I'd remembered to put in my contacts that morning. "Kayla, lend me your glasses real quick."

She handed over her spectacles, my hands shoving them on almost instantly. The slow was slower, so his mouth wasn't moving very fast. 

"'Cause I will wait, I will wait for you

And I will wait, I will wait for you

And I will wait, I will wait for you"

The wind swayed his hair to the side, and the lyrics stopped spouting in my head as his lips clamped shut. 

His eyes were on mine as I stared at him through the opened window. "What are you looking at, weirdo?"

"You're his soulmate!" Austin screeched like a little girl from behind me, my face turning a bright red as he did so.

"Is that so?" He called up. "What's your name, huh?"

"Will Solace," I responded gingerly. 

"I'm Nico," He grinned. "Nico Di Angelo. I've been waiting for you for a long time."

The song is "I Will Wait" by Mumford and Sons.