Ch. 16

Matheo's voice echoed through the house, his frustration palpable. "Holy shit, are we actually going to this party or are you guys going to twiddle your thumbs all night?!" He screamed up the stairs.

Aiden, Mia, Matheo, and I had been waiting in the living room for what felt like an eternity. Matheo slumped back onto the couch next to me, his forearms resting heavily on the black suit pants he was wearing. "Gosh, what the heck is taking them so long?" He muttered under his breath.

Finally, the sound of footsteps echoed down the staircase. Alexandre strode into the room, followed closely by Lucien and Mylan. "We are here, calm yourself," he said coolly as if he hadn't just kept us waiting. "You make a bigger entrance if you arrive after everyone else."

Lucien, not one for small talk, turned on his heels and headed for the front door. "It doesn't matter," he said over his shoulder. "We are here now, so let's go."

As I follow my brothers out of the house I push the black hat I was wearing further down on my head to hide myself underneath. I had put a pair of brown contacts into my eyes, but the hat tranquilized a bit more of my apprehension. We all filed into one of the two black SUVs that were waiting outside for us.

As I was about to follow behind Aiden into one of the cars, Lucien called to me from where he was standing by the other car. "Cameron switch cars with Alexandre."

I watch Alexandre give Lucien a look, but he barely acknowledges it before giving him a slight nod and Alexandre walks over to where I was standing. 

As I walk over to where Lucien is now getting into the car, I ask in a low voice so that I can't be overheard, "Does this have to do with me going in unnoticed?"

"It does," Lucien says, now fully in his seat.

I pushed my way into the car only to see that the only open seat was in the back next to Mylan. With little struggle, I sit down next to a window and watch as the car slowly starts to roll away from the heavily guarded house.

The next few minutes go by fast in pure silence as everyone is on their phone. I myself am scrolling through different videos till hear the sound of Mylan twisting in his seat. "I'm sorry," Mylan mumbles so quietly I thought it wasn't real.

I turn my head slightly to get a better look at him. He had turned horizontally so that he could face me better without straining his neck.

"It was wrong of me to assume how you acted when you were away, but we all really missed you and I want to know that you are happy with your decision." He still spoke quietly, but I knew from his facial expressions that he really meant it.

"Thanks, and I did get a little too defensive, so I'm sorry for that..." I mumble off as I am pulled into a quick half hug. 

"I guess I better make this the best week of your life," Mylan smiles as we pull away from the hug.

Just then the car pulls to a stop and Lucien turns around to look at me. "I figured you wouldn't want to walk in through the main entrance." I give him a nod in understanding and he continues. "That door over there is the backdoor to the event. Just keep walking straight till you find a door next to the stairs. I believe you can figure out the rest. Good luck."

He opens the door on his side and I step out into the windy breeze.

The car pulls away and I swiftly readjust the navy blue sleeves on my suit checking to make sure that my weapons are still in place. I pull the tattered door open and quickly pass by the locker rooms to the door and stairs. After climbing three sets I pull open the door and step into the brightly lit ballroom.