Chapter 3

Laika's P.O.V

It's now the following evening. I've been using the day to rest up and plan things out. Now I am currently in a small convenience store, searching through all the shelves for the essentials. I thought I had everything when I got to the till but realised something may be missing. Thankfully the cashier was kind enough to put everything in a bag on the side for me.  So now I am looking through the shelves, I try to go over everything I have already so I can work out what is missing and what I can afford. Instant noodles, rice, bottled water, protein bars, first aid kit...what else...?  I ponder and Zira is quick to chime in. "Meat! We need meat!"  "No. We'll get that later when we go hunting." "Fine...but what about some Jerky for now?" "Fine. Which flavour? Spicey beef, regular beef or honey-glazed BBQ beef?"

I can almost feel Zira rolling her eyes at the question. "What sort of question is that?! Honey glazed BBQ beef! DUH!"   Huffing in response, I pick up a packet of jerky. "Ooh! Get some pork cracklings too!"  Hearing, Zira's demand I reluctantly pick up a pack of cracklings, keeping tabs on how much I'm spending. "Okay, but nothing else. We only have a small amount of money and still have to carry everything, remember?"  "Fine. Fine." Zira responds and she keeps quiet as I double-check once more to see if I have everything and count the money I have left.

I let out a small sigh in realisation and begin putting stuff back. "We barely can afford all this so it looks like we're sleeping rough still."  "At least we somehow manage to afford-"  Zira suddenly cuts herself off, instantly going silent. I frown. "Zira, why did you go quiet?" "Do you smell that?"  She asks in response. Furrowing my eyebrows, I try to figure out what she is referring to and take a small sniff of the air. Instantly my nose is filled with the scent of warm cinnamon buns, fresh out of the oven and dripping in sweet icing. The scent sends something stirring within me. Something strange and new. Something comforting but exciting and almost...alluring? Why can i smell freshly baked cinnamon buns? There's not even a bakery in this shop, it's just a small corner shop. And nor is there one nearby. "It's him! It's him!!!" Zira suddenly yaps energetically, making me even more confused. I can even sense her rolling about in excitement.  "What the heck are you talking about?!"

"Excuse me?"

My whole body freezes at the sound of the person speaking and I gulp nervously. Slowly I turn to face the person and my eyes grow in shock. There he stands in a casual hoodie and jeans and a pair of dark timberlands. His dark hair falls gracefully on the soft skin of his face and his bunny-like smile makes my heart start beating rapidly. "Mate! Mate!" Zira yaps, like a little puppy having its first playtime and I roll my eyes in response. "Aish! Calm down will you?!" I hiss under my breath and the guy in front of me chuckles. Immediately I respond to his laughter with a harsh glare. "The frick you laughing at?!"   Instantly he jumps in shock, with widened eyes as he gulps. "Uh...n-nothing..."  I roll my eyes at him, "Anyway, what do you want?" He bites his lip, looking away nervously. "I...uh...just wanted to say hi."  Scoffing, I fold my arms and raise an eyebrow, not buying. "Mhmm, sureee." I then shrug, "Well...bye!" Turning on my heel, I begin to walk away but suddenly...

*THUD*

Staring up at the young man who just grabbed me and pulled me back to him, I narrow my eyes. "What the heck dude! What do you think you're doing?! Let me go!" I snap, fighting back a growl. I try to wriggle free but this guy has me firmly in his hold. Damn, he's strong! "I wanna talk to you." He simply says. "Well, I don't want to talk to you!" I retort. "Now get your damn hands off me!" "Nooooo! His arms are so warm! And oh so muscular!" Zira suddenly purrs and I let out an internal groan at this sheer ridiculous. Choosing to ignore her, I turn my attention back to the guy, "You have three seconds to get your hands off me or-" "Or what?" He says smugly, cutting me off. I snort in response. "Trust me, buddy, you don't want to know." He then smirks, leaning forward a little, almost as if he's challenging me. "Try me!"  Fine, we do this the hard way!