Chapter 4 - The Air Elementalist

Gingerly, I took Lincoln's outstretched hand and shook it once before quickly dropping it.

"We have high hopes for you, James. As the Fire Elementalist, you will have to be one of the leaders of the Alliance against Andras' forces." Lincoln said solemnly. 

"But no pressure," Real whispered to me. The corners of my mouth twitched.

"Don't make me regret saving you from those Scourgers," Lincoln warned.

"Then why didn't you save Harold?" I demanded. "Where were you when-"

"I was out of range at that time," Lincoln growled. "You and Real should be grateful you made it out alive."

"We are," Real said before I could retort. "Now, where's Albert? Has he found anything?"

"He went out to get Mira," Lincoln said. 

"Mira?!" Aránzazu exclaimed. "Why would he-"

"Ah, you're the new Fire Elementalist?" Another voice interrupted.

We all turned to the door, and there stood another guy also around my age. His wavy brown hair fell onto the glasses he was wearing. Airpods nestled in his ears and he's looking at his phone.

"Uh...yeah."

"Albert Kairo, recon specialist. Call me Albert," Albert said. He looked at the bracelet on my arm. "They gave you a Deltan Device already? You better keep yours on, Fire Boy. I wouldn't want my phone to jam." 

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Haven't the others told you?" Albert scoffed. He fell butt-first on his seat and spun around, leaing back and resting his feet on his desk. "You Elementalists have this funny aura that causes anything based on electricity or modern weapons to jam around it. Super annoying. If the equipment is made of something made by an Elemental, like Deltan Iron-" He tapped his own bracelet. "It numbs the effect a little, but the best way will be to have the Elementalist wear some Elemental-made metals."

"Albert, where's Mira?" Real interrupted.

"And why do you even need her?!" Aránzazu demanded.

"She'll be here in a moment. As for why I called her, I need her to translate these." Albert said, firing up his laptop. He opened a file and it showed a yellowing page with a lot of cryptic symbols on it.

"Where did you get this?" Aránzazu asked, putting her hand on Albert's shoulder as she leaned in for a closer look

Albert sweeped her hand off his shoulder, shooting a cold look at her before he began talking. "There was a faint location ping from Harold's Deltan Device. I tried pinpointing it, but someone else is blocking me from finding an exact spot. So instead, I measured the weakness of the ping and measured its distance from Delta, and cross-referenced every possible coordinate with the archives we have on all known planets that lie in that particular distance. This-" He gestured the picture. "-is all that we have."