Chapter 9 - Fight or Flight?

"Of course. Just my luck," Aránzazu muttered as we sat down at one of the many round tables in the Seropes' cafeteria. Before I could reply, I noticed a giant platter on the table. On it was a raw rabbit dipped in some pungent green sauce. The three of us pinched our noses.

"Oh, my apologies," Lieutenant Ferodis said graciously. He swopped in and took away the rabbit, much to my relief. He replaced it with a bowl of porridge for each of us. "I didn't know which table you three would sit in, but I had the chefs notified to prepare some human food."

"Thank you, Lieutenant," Real nodded. Ferodis bared his teeth in a smile and left.

"Shouldn't he be delegating these tasks? As a lieutenant?" I asked as I tentatively tasted the steaming porridge. I was shocked to find that it was actually good. Creamy and sweet.

"The human tradition, yes. But in the Seropes' culture, the highest ranking person is the one responsible for taking care of the guests. It's a social stigma," Real explained. He gulped down a spoonful of the porridge and his eyes watered. He panted. "Hot! Hot!"

I smirked.

"Mira is definitely here, isn't she?" Aránzazu mumbled, not even touching her bowl. 

"So is Albert," I tried to add helpfully.

 Aránzazu groaned and ate her breakfast reluctantly. 

"So, what's the plan for today?" I asked Real. 

"Aránzazu and I will go training with the Seropes. You should go train with the Fire Elemental. I think you might have a few weeks before Lincoln and Clare says we have to return to Delta. Long enough for you to learn the basics, they hope."

"Is a few weeks enough?"

Real frowned. "No. But they really want you on the battlefield as soon as possible."

"But-" I stopped myself. Had Harold not been in danger, I would've left Nekros right then and there and head back to Earth. I barely know Lincoln and Clare. I haven't even know the Alliance existed a week ago. And now they want me to die for them?

"I know," Aránzazau gave me a sympathetic look. "They're really eager to have you in the fight. Too eager, I think."

Then what makes them any better than Andras? I thought to myself. I gulped down the rest of the porridge, ignoring the fact that it's searing my tongue. Knowing that I was about to be sent to the front lines to fight Andras' monsters just upped the ante. I was keener than ever to get more information about Harold.

Perhaps the two of them know something. 

"So," I asked as nonchalantly as I could. "Is this place more than just for military stuff?"

Real paused, his spoon halfway to his open mouth. "What do you mean?"

"Like is there any way I can access information here? Maybe I can find something on previous Fire Elementalists and see how they train?" I said, trying to keep my tone as neutral as possible. 

Real shook his head. "Ferodis' office has a little archive library, but they're mostly about the background of every known planet documented by the Alliance. You wouldn't find anything about Fire Elementalists there."

I perked up a little but immediately masked it with a disappointed face upon seeing Aránzazu's suspicious look. I pretended to gulp down the rest of my porridge, but I could still feel her eyes burning into me, trying to see my intentions.

"Um...so what are you training for with the Seropes?" I asked, trying to change the subject. "Like...swords?"

"No," Real responded. "I'll be shooting targets."