17

Chapter Seventeen

Phoenix

"See you next week, Phoenix!" My friend, tells me as she heads for her next class.

"Bye, Kat!" I reply as I duck into the library.

I've settled in amazingly so far and made a few new friends. It's a kind of normalcy I didn't realize I was missing before. I'd lost touch with a lot of friends after Mom got sick and all my time went into taking care of her. Now, to have a small group I put in that category... It's nice.

Kat was the first girl I met when I started school. She's in the same program as me. We bonded over nerves and a shared caffeine addiction in our first few days, and now we're attached at the hip when we're on campus. She's one of the few friends I've made that I've actually opened up to about my mom.

She gets it. Her dad passed away a few years ago, so we have that in common too- we've both lost a parent. Talking to her about it has helped. She's been where I am and knows how hard it is. How long it takes to heal from that kind of loss.

I have Raven to talk to about it, but she has walls up around her heartache that even I can't climb. I know she'll talk about it when she's ready, and she'll listen whenever I need it, but having someone else to talk to about hard things like that is never a bad thing. It's why I'm so grateful to have Kat.

I find a quiet nook in the back corner of the library to settle in to do some homework before my next class. My work is nearly done when I sense something eerie. It's that feeling you get when you think someone's watching you.

I turn to see what's got my senses on high alert. That's when I spot him. The man I saw in the parking lot the other day. He's perched in an armchair fifteen feet away with his eyes trained on me. My stomach drops and I get the urge to run. As if sensing it, he starts to move before I can.

I'm frozen in place, unsure what to do as he comes closer. Five feet away. I can still run. I can scream.

My feet feel like they're cased in concrete. My throat is bone dry. No sound is coming from my mouth. I can't speak. I can't scream.

Three feet away. Do something!

I'm panicking, too afraid to make a move.

Two feet. I can hear Raven's voice in my head, Phoenix! Move! Now!

He's right next to me before I can do anything. And as I gape at him, trying to force down my fear, he speaks. "Hello. You're Phoenix, right?" A slow smile spreads across his face.

My heart is pounding as I find my voice. "H-how did you know that?" I ask. My words shake as I barely muster up more than a whisper.

He grimaces as he runs a hand through his hair, looking almost embarrassed. "Shit. I'm sorry. That probably sounds so creepy. I'm Martin." He holds out his hand to me.

When I say nothing, he continues. "Sorry for freaking you out. Today and the other day in the lot. It's just... I've seen you around campus. I asked a few of my friends about you. They know some of your friends. That's how I got your name."

"Okayyy," I drawl, trying to calm my erratic heart as he keeps talking.

"God, I've messed this all up," he says. "I just thought you were gorgeous, and I hadn't seen you around until this semester. I wanted to introduce myself the other day, but chickened out. I probably just freaked you out by gawking at you like a lunatic." He huffs out a sigh.

My mind is racing as I try to piece together all of the information he's just unloaded on me. "You were trying to work up the nerve to say hello?"

Martin's shoulders relax and he smiles widely at me. "Yes! I'm awful at this." He scratches his jaw nervously. "But you can probably tell that already."

He looks so shy, I almost feel bad for assuming the worst the other day when I sped off. It's odd. Guys who look like him usually aren't this awkward, but who am I to judge?

As my weariness from earlier starts to ease minutely, I can't help the pitying feeling that seeps into my bones. The rational part of my brain tells me to stay alert. We don't know this guy and what he may be capable of. What if my knee-jerk reaction was right? What if he is a creep?

I take him in, assessing his threat level. Now that I've seen him up close, I can tell he fits the bill for tall, dark, and handsome. He looks nervous though. Really nervous. It looks like it took everything he had to muster up the courage to come talk to me. The least I can do is be polite.

"Uh, no. It- it's okay, Martin. I just wish you had said something the other day. Sorry, I freaked out on you there. It's been a weird couple weeks for me."

His eyes widen as if he's stunned I replied to him. He quickly recovers, clearing his throat. "I wish I'd had the courage then."

After a beat, he continues, sliding into the empty seat next to me. "How bout we start over? I'm Martin," he says again, holding out his hand. This time more confidently.

I can't help but chuckle as I hold out my hand. "Nice to meet you, Martin. I'm Phoenix."

His brown eyes light up and a gorgeous smile brightens his features. "Pleasure to meet you, Phoenix."

The tension between Martin and I slowly dissipates as we chat for a while. The more we talk, the less nervous he becomes. He tells me about his program and how long he's lived in the area. He asks how I like my classes so far and makes me laugh as he shares funny stories about some of the professors.

My alarm buzzes, letting me know it's almost time for my next class. I gather my things and tell Martin goodbye, but as I go to leave, he stops me.

"Let me take you out sometime," he says in a rush as I stand to leave.

I turn, seeing a hopeful expression on his face. "Uh, I can't. I'm sorry."

He slides his hands into his pockets, sagging his shoulders. "You got a boyfriend or something?" He asks casually.

My mind immediately flashes to Raptor and my answer is on my tongue before I know it. "Yeah. Yeah, I do."

"Ah," he says, looking at his feet. "What's his name?"

I quirk an eyebrow at him, and he laughs lightly. "Sorry. I don't mean to pry. Just curious about the guy lucky enough to win you over."

I nearly tell him Raptor, but quickly correct myself. There's no way he'd believe I was dating a guy who calls himself Raptor. "His name is Mason."

Martin nods slightly. "Well, Mason's a lucky guy."

"Thanks," I tell him, turning to head toward the exit.

"See you around, Phoenix. I hope."

I give him a smile as I head to class. After talking to Martin, I really do believe he was just nervous to come talk to me. And I'm happy to put my paranoia about the parking lot incident to bed. 

A/N: 

How are we feeling about the mysterious Martin? Let me know down below what you're thoughts are on the story's newest character.