Chapter 1

Juliette

The sound of shuffling sheets brought me back to consciousness.

"Aaron?" I mutter sleepily. I reach out in attempt to touch something that was no longer there. My brain still feels fuzzy from sleep but I was clear-headed enough to feel confused. Normally I was the one trying to get Aaron and I us both out of bed, despite his attempts to convince me to do otherwise. Before when we weren't close enough to sleep together, Aaron dawned upon me as a morning person, I wouldn't have been able to imagine Aaron having difficulties when waking up back then. But that was back then, present is a whole new story. I suspect his unwillingness to wake up had something to do with me. I would bet my powers he'd be much more willing to get out of bed if we slept in different rooms. The sun had barely risen, so why's he getting out of bed so early?

His body visibly tensed as I  called out his name.

"What time is it? Where are you going?" I asked, my voice husky from sleep.

"Just the bathroom, love." he replied.

"You need to put on slacks to use the bathroom?" I raised an eyebrow skeptically.

Aaron stopped tugging on his pants midair. The sight was so comical that in another scenario I would've laughed upon seeing it.

"No."

"Liar."

Aaron dragged his palm down his face, he seemed to be trying to make a decision or simply   trying to find a solution.

"Aaron, what's wrong?" I pressed. My stomach clenched with worry. It was only a month or so after our wedding, I was constantly afraid the brief peace and  happiness we found after we got married was going to be taken away so quickly when we'd fought so hard for it.

Jesus Christ, can we never have any peace?

"This was Kishimito's idea. I don't even know why I went along with it." he said stiffly.

"What are you talking about?" I asked, the worry momentarily disappeared into curiosity. "Aaron?"

"He's preparing a birthday surprise for you."

"What?" I said briefly stunned by shock. I had forgotten today was my birthday. With the recent events happening having expectations for birthday surprises was almost laughable. I was still having trouble adjusting to this new world we helped create, that I helped create.

"Kishimito prepared a birthday surprise for you, and required my presence." he explained unnecessarily. A tense moment later his face softened and he smiled. A sweet, soft and loving smile. I bet most people doesn't even know he looks like that when he smiles, really smiles, given his cold and ruthless reputation. When he smiles at me I feel like I'm looking at something truly beautiful, he smiles like the sunbathed meadows and the starry skies at night, both which I haven't had the privilege to see yet. But in a way, it's enough for me that I do have the privilege to see him smile. The smile wasn't enough for his dimples to show yet but it was no less sincere.

Despite my curiosity I couldn't help smile back.

"Happy birthday, Ella."

I murmur a thank you in response.

"I ruined your birthday surprise, didn't I?" He dropped his smile, though his eyes still contained a hint of amusement.