PROLOGUE

AN: it’s my birthdayyyy and im so so happy to put this book up in front of everyone on such a special day!! if you are excited to read about Lily and Miller, please drop a vote and a comment! i’ll take it as my birthday gift! it would mean EVERYTHING to me<33

AGE NINETEEN

I hauled my luggage out of the cab that had just pulled up outside the gate of my new University. Thanking the driver, I pulled my purse over my shoulder and rolled my two larger than life suitcases into the campus of my University.

When my mother had mentioned London for me to get my Bachelors and Masters in Business Management, my instant reply had been a huge, resounding no. I loved my family back in New York City. I was my father’s princess and even though Kyst, my older brother, called me a little gremlin and pretended to be irritated by me all the time, deep inside, he really, really loved me.

But nobody in our home defied my mom. My dad always had heart eyes around her because he was that gone for the woman and Kyst also respected our mom too much to question certain decisions. Despite only being two years older than me, Kyst had an impeccable sense of judgement and believed whatever our mom decided to be wise.

It might seem like I didn’t appreciate or care for my mother but that wasn’t true. I did. I really loved my mom but it couldn’t be said the same about her. I think my mom wanted to get rid of me for the next five years so she could tend that time  honing the future of her son, the golden boy of the family.

At twenty one, Kyst was already receiving his Masters because he was a genius. He’d effortlessly studied, taken up Summer classes and skipped two grades. In fact, if what I heard my mom and dad talking about some weeks earlier was true, my dad was even handing over our NYC Company to Kyst next year. And that was fucking awesome. I was thrilled for my brother.

And me? I was the mistake. My parents hadn’t planned me. My mom had a perfect future envisioned where she lived all her life with her husband and her son who worshipped her at their feet. And then I came along; the little dent in her plan. The one that ruined every dream she had seen. The one that ruined the shape of her body she had spent thirteen months perfecting so she could be called the supermodel in the world of all huge conglomerates and business tycoons.

Because that was what my father was. A business tycoon. I came from a rich family. Very, very rich. And so it really pricked the back of my nerves and teared my eyes up everytime I pictured my mother looking at me with disdain and a sort of sadness in her eyes. Why couldn’t she just love me too? It’s not like we had any sort of monetary issues that would’ve set us back or anything. I just didn’t get—

“Oh, fuck. I’m so sorry,” a voice erupted. I snapped my head up just as a hand flew in front of me and pushed away a soccer ball that was heading towards me. I’d been so over in my head, I hadn’t even realised I was walking straight towards the soccer field where a game had been going on. “Are you okay?”