nine | "let's eat"

Alex Richards, our very own resident motherfucker stared back at my glare, not cowering

Alex Richards, our very own resident motherfucker stared back at my glare, not cowering. He was one of the members of the Board, an extremely important personality in this business with various shares in others. At thirty-three, this man already had millions worth of properties, an insane reputation in the market and a knack for hating the guts of yours truly.

Lily was still here, her back pressed to my front and as much as I still wanted to press her back to the door and wrap my fingers around her throat like I'd dreamt of, feel her pulse go wild beneath my fingertips and revel in the way her breath hitched anytime I looked at her lips, I stayed still. Lily just mentioned she'd seen Alex in the elevator and the fact that she was still here after a conversation with him. . . .

That would mean Alex hadn't told her anything.

I looked back at him and his eyebrows raised, a smirk lifting his lips as he recognised the realisation flicking across my face. He might have not told her yet but that didn't mean he wouldn't.

Message reached, loud and clear, you fuckwipe. I took in a sharp breath and ignoring Alex digging holes in my back, I urged Lily outside my office with my arm pressed to her lower back. She hissed at the contact and my body buzzed with awareness as my pinky finger brushed against her bare skin since her crop top that fit her midriff and her high-waisted jeans left a trail of smooth, silky skin uncovered. The moment we were out of my office, she turned to face me, her finger reaching out in a way a mother's would when she yelled at her kid. “Who the fuck is that? And why did you drag me out like that? I'm not some fuck—”

“Shut up,” I snapped. “For one goddamn second, shut the fuck up. Please.

She sucked in a breath, her glare piercing through me. “Fine. This deal is off. Go fucking fuck yourself, asshole.” And with that, she hitched her purse higher on her shoulder, spun and strutted down the hallway with her high heels clicking against the floor, her pressure more on her left leg since she'd snapped her right one earlier and her little ass swaying, tempting me to bend her over my lap and span— Fuck!

I shut my eyes and fisted my palms, dragging my eyes away from Lily's cute ass and called for Avery. My assistant walked out of her cabin on the other side of my office with a notepad in her hand and smiled, “Yes, sir?”

“Lily Archer just went down through the elevator. I want you to make sure she gets home safe.” Because if she was going to drive with the anger I saw in her right now, she was more likely to end up in a hospital than her home and the thought of her in a hospital. . . .Not fucking good.

“How far are you going to take this, Mr. Jones?” Avery asked, batting her eyelashes, a spring in her step as she moved closer to me. “After everything, after risking you—”

“Stop.” I raised my palm in her face, my jaw clenched. “Do what I just told you and report back to me. Then, mind your own goddamn business. The only reason you even know half the things I'm doing is because you're my assistant. One funny move and I'm kicking you out without a second thought. Do you understand?”