twelve | "boyfriend"

The shock and surprise on Miller’s face was worth everything I’d gone through to find out where he lived, his favourite order from the restaurant nearby and sweet-talking the security into letting me in

I’d called his assistant, Avery, first thing in the morning and lied to her about receiving an email from Miller about an urgent meeting at his home but that he’d forgotten to mention his address and wouldn’t pick up his phone. She’d been reluctant but had given it to me anyway saying she had our call recorded and if Miller yelled at her, she’d simply put the blame on me. Sure, sweetheart, Miller didn’t have a thing on me. He didn’t scare me.

Then, I had walked into the Indian restaurant and hadn’t been able to stop myself from getting a samosa and a chai since the smell coming from the kitchen had been so tempting. After I finished my tea, I asked for one to-go because despite my inhibitions, I remembered Miller’s obsession with tea. While Sully and I had always moaned about lack of good coffee in the country famous for its tea, Miller would laugh in our faces while sipping his tea. He’d always loved tea.

And now, as he finished his chai and stood up from the chair to load the dishes into the dishwasher, a feeling of nervousness took flight in my belly. When I’d planned for this, I’d been excited about having Miller taste the bitterness of his own medicine. Now that the plan was halfway through, I was a mess.

“Lily?” I blinked out of my stupor at Miller calling my name and looked up at him, surprised he had already put on his suit over his button-down.

“Yeah?”

“Ready to go?” he asked, silently staring me down, probably trying to figure out what was wrong with me. Me too, buddy, me too.

“Oh yeah!” I exclaimed, then cleared my throat. “Let’s, uh, go.” Get a fucking grip on yourself, Lily.

“My driver’s already waiting for us. Did you drive your own car?”

“No. I took an Uber. But don’t worry, I’ll book an Uber to go back too. You don’t have to drop—”

“Why would I drop you?” He raised a brow at me as the elevator doors opened and we stepped in.

His bergamot scent filled the small cabin car and my body tingled with the awareness of his closeness. He had a tight, white button down that accentuated the brilliant shape of his pecs and biceps as his suit highlighted his broad shoulders and strong physique. His pants perfectly fit his muscular thighs and he was so goddamn perfect. . . .stop.

I didn’t have it in me to reply to him because if I did, my voice could either come out huskier or I’d squeak in his praises. If seeing Miller Jones earlier in only his towel as droplets of water travelled down his tight, toned body wasn’t enough, watching him in his own habitat, so comfortable as he did basic household chores like filling up the dishwasher had done me in. There was something so charming about a man being in his place and knowing his stuff.