Chapter 6

When Win and I awoke, we made our way down to the private dining hall. As we walked through the doors, Panit and Mana ran up to me and pulled me into a tight hug.

    "I'm so glad you're alright." Panit said as he let go of me.

    "Me too." Mana said before hitting my arm. "Why'd you start a fight when we weren't there to help?"

    "It's not like I wanted a fight to start." I said while rubbing my arm.

    "Well next time, call us." Mana said before going back to sit at the table in the middle of the room.

    "I didn't have the chance to call for help this time, but if there is a next time, you'll be the first to know Mana." I told her.

    "That's all I'm asking for." She replied.

    "Come on. Let's get you something to eat." Win said as he guided me to sit at the table.

    Everyone had started some small talk here and there. Yet there was still an awkward tension in the air, as if everyone was avoiding talking about something. From what I had heard yesterday, it probably had something to do with me.

    After breakfast, Rayne pulled me to the side.

    "There's something I'd like to show you. Would you come with me?" He asked. "Just us." He said while looking to Zephyr and Win behind us.

    I turned to Win and said, "I'll be okay. Go hang out with our friends for a bit and I'll see you later."

    Rayne and I walked outside and made our way to the back of the palace. Along the way, people kept stopping and bowing.

    "When you said this was your home, does that mean you're apart of the royal family or someone important? Is that why everyone keeps bowing as we walk by?" I asked Rayne.

    Rayne glanced around and saw the people walking by that bowed before moving on.

    "Oh. Yes. I've gotten so use to it, I don't even realize it anymore. I'm Prince Rayne of the Kingdom of Eldoria." Rayne said as he continued walking.

    I, however, had stopped. "You're a prince? I mean I kind of already guessed but you just openly admitted to that."

    "Was I suppose to keep it hidden? I'm not ashamed of where I come from. Now come along. We're almost there." Rayne said.

    Rayne had led me to a beautiful garden behind the palace. It was huge, with arches that led to even more areas filled with plants and flowers.

 It was huge, with arches that led to even more areas filled with plants and flowers

    In the center of the garden stood a statue of a beautiful woman. It took me a few moments to realize that I've seen her before. She had appeared in my dream. She was the lady with the green eyes.

    "She seems familiar to me. Am I suppose to know her?" I asked Rayne.

    Rayne stayed quiet with his eyes fixated on the statue. Unlike the dining hall, this silence was peaceful. I still felt like I didn't know everything that I was suppose to, but in this garden, I felt a sort of peace.

    Suddenly, Rayne sat down on the ground and patted the ground beside him. "Sit. Let me tell you about this place."

    "A long time ago, there were two kingdoms. One of them was going to war with a nearby smaller kingdom. The kingdom that was going to war didn't have enough men, enough supplies to go to war. If they did go, they would surely have fallen."

    "The neighboring kingdom saw this and offered up help for a price. If they had won the war, the king's heir would have to marry the neighboring king's daughter. For that would seal their alliance."

    "They won. Of course. So the king's son, Prince Frederick, and the neighboring king's daughter, Princess Caldera, were to be married."

    "That sucks." I said with a pout. "They were forced to be married? They didn't have a choice? What they didn't like each other?"

    "It's alright Team. They both wanted to help their kingdoms and they thought this marriage was the only way to do that."

    "Unfortunately, you were right about one thing. They hated each other. They were always bickering back and forth. Day and night. Rumors started to spread that their hatred for each other was so big that they were bound to kill each other."

    "Luckily, the neighboring king's wife, Queen Alana saw this and sent her son, Prince Calcipher to help mend the tension between his sister and her new husband."

    "Unbeknownst to them, Prince Calcipher would find his own love here in this kingdom. Together, they helped Prince Frederick and Princess Caldera to learn to tolerate each other and soon that tolerance turned to love."

    "How does any of that relate to this garden?" I asked.

    "I'm getting to that. Princess Caldera and Dara soon became best friends. They couldn't have been happier than when Price Calcipher proposed to Dara. Actually they could. Years later, when they gave birth to their sons, both kingdoms rejoiced."

    "Unfortunately, their happiness couldn't last. Another war broke out and this time Queen Dara was lost. As was her son. So Queen Caldera had this garden built in honor of her best friend. Her sister."

    "Every flower, every plant in the kingdom, a part of them is here. Queen Dara loved finding new ways to create and mix spells and charms together. So Queen Caldera thought that this would be the perfect place for Queen Dara. If she had lived."

    I looked back up at the statue. Is it possible that this Queen Dara is my... that I'm possibly her... I didn't want to think about that. I stood up, wanting to leave this place that had taken on a dark and sad aura.

    "Wait Team." Rayne said as he grabbed my arm. "The reason I brought you here is because I wanted you to have some closure. A chance to say goodb-"

    "I don't want to hear it!" I interrupted him and shook off his hand. "If she is who I think she is, I'd rather not remember." I ran away, back into the palace.

    Win found me as I was racing through the hallways.

    "What's the matter? What happened? Why are you crying?" Win asked me.

    I reached my hand up to my face to feel tears flowing down my cheeks. I hadn't even realize I'd begun to cry.

    "I... I..." I couldn't manage to say anything that I wanted. A lump had formed in my throat that refused to let me speak.

    Win pulled me into a hug. "It's okay. Everything's alright." Win kept saying over and over to me. He led me back to our room and sat us down in front of the fireplace.

    "Do you want to talk about it?" Win asked me.

    "Not right now." I replied as I stared into the flames.

    "So much has been thrown at you all at once. I wish I could take you away from all of this, but we're safer here than anywhere else."

    "It's okay. I know that I have to deal with this. Give me some time and I'll tackle whatever else gets thrown at us." I said.

    Win kissed my forehead. "I know you will."