The human.

The alpha and Beta had been driving for hours already. Both just wanted to get back to their territory. After being stuck in ongoing traffic they had made it to a small rural town which reeked of humans.

Free land. Unclaimed.

It was here that the car they had began to make a beeping sound meaning they would need to find gas.

Pulling into a random gas station the pair got out and headed inside.

"Not feeling this place, Mark. It's got Liam going crazy in my head." Came the deep voice of Justin. The Alpha, who stood in line behind a few humans waiting their turn.

" Dude, chill. There is only one person at the register." Came Marks reply over his shoulder.

Both men grumbled. Justin stopped short was a scent caught his attention. Looking around he tried to pin it down and it was everywhere.
It was sweet, like a bag of Skittles had been dumped on the floor mixed with sunshine.

"Dude, you smell that?" Justin whispered as they moved forward. "Yeah, humans."
"Nah..smells..sweet.." Justin closed his eye and deeply inhaled.

Mark rolled his eyes and pulled  Justin forward as the line was swiftly moving now.

That's when Justin locked eyes with the brunette woman behind the counter.

Mark looked between her and Justin and grumbled. He knew this look. He knew it all to well. Justin, his best friend, had found his mate.

It was like the whole world just shifted.
Justin just stood there transfixed.
His eyes wide with shock and surprise. It was her!
The only word he could get out was "beautiful."

-

She snaps her fingers in Justin's face.
"Uh hello?" Her thick Irish accent making its way into Justin's hearing.

Rolling his eyes Mark punched Justin hard in the shoulder bringing his friend back to reality.

The young woman scrunched her nose and with her arms folded over her chest walked around the two men and went over to the door locking it and turning off the wall sign.

"Both of you from the packs?" Came here voice again. Justin blinked for a moment. "You know..."

"Yeah, I'm not stupid. I know you are an alpha. And your buddy over there by the counter is a Gamma.." came here voice thick with attitude.

Marks jaw dropped at the insult.
"Excuse me, Beta here, thank you."
Mark retorted, Making the woman roll her eyes as she walked back towards the counter.

"It doesn't matter what your rank is really. Not here. Your in free land. Far from any packs. So none of that rank crap is going to mean anything to anyone here. You are just two ya-hoos with fancy clothes." She said.

"What is your name? And more importantly, how did you know we were from the packs, rank, and.."
She holds up her hand stopping Justin's questions.

"Your wolves are loud. And My name is none of your business, Alpha." She does a little curtsy her eyes never leaving Justin's.

This confuses him to no end. This is his mate. Yet, there is no pull, no desire coming from her. She felt, void. Empty. Liem, his wolf howled for her calling to her yet she didn't flinch. Was she.. Human?

"Her name is Shayla. Came a voice from the back room. As another young lady wearing a matching shirt comes out from the back with a flat of drinks in her hands.

Plopping the drinks down on the cart next to the counter the lady looks up at the three people in front of her. Now this was a shewolf.

Mark and Justin's heckles rose. Rouge.
Justin tried to put himself between Shayla and the other woman only to be punched in the head.

"What is your deal? You go after every wolf you meet like that?"
Came Shaylas voice sounding frustrated.

"Justin gripping his head turning around in shock, she got him.
Not only that, it hurt. But she was defending the woman who stood there nonchalantly picking her nails like nothing has happened.

"Okay. While this has now become a whirlwind situation, and my friends vocal skills stink let me say this.
Hi, I'm Mark. And this lug nut is my friend Justin. Who, I thought was going to say that he was your mate. But seeing as how this whole moment has gone from one thing to the next rather quickly, let's move on." Mark said with his hand out in front of himself.

"Who are you?" Justin asked in disbelief. My wolf says mate, over and over but...I don't feel anything. No pull. Nothing."

"Hah! Good. I don't need a mate. Sure was heck didn't help when it mattered. Listen, you show up and think I'm your mate but listen I don't want you, I don't need you. And your wolf is mistaken.."

"She was raised by the rouges and humans after the packs killed her parents."
" Geez, Carmin can you not keep your mouth shut?" Shayla snapped.

"Which pack?" Justin asked.

" I don't know I was 7 at the time. But it's whatever. All I know is one day everything is fine next minute my parents are torn to bits by a group of pack wolves. They showed up and ruined everything. So, yeah I know about wolves. I know how to tell wolves by rank. And let me just say that I reject you..and you and your buddy can be gone."