Kryptonite!

Batman scrutinised Captain Marvel as he lay on the ground, writhing in agony in the presence of Green Lantern's power ring. That confirmed his suspicions. Captain Marvel is not Kryptonian.

"What's up with Big Red?" Hal peered at the now still man.

"Your ring," Batman growled.

"I just charged it," Hal frowned, staring at his weapon.

The Green Lantern oath!

In brightest day in blackest night

No evil shall escape my sight

Let those who worship evil's might

Beware my power green lantern's light.

Does that mean Captain Marvel is inherently evil?

If not, why does the power ring affect the bubbly, good natured man – the man who wore Billy's dead father's face.

Unless....

Captain Marvel is Billy Batson's dead father, C.C. Batson.

That explains why he can't be hurt or killed. He's already dead.

Billy carries Captain Marvel's communicator and calls the Captain when his services are needed. Did Captain Marvel strike up some kind of evil deal so that he could visit his son in the land of the living?

Bruce shuddered. He had to keep a closer eye on The Captain.

In any case, he needn't worry about Captain Marvel anymore. If the big guy goes rogue, any Green Lantern with a fully charged ring can take him down.

"Lantern, come with me," he led Hal away from the Captain.

As they walked in silence, Bruce's thoughts drifted to Billy's relationship with his dead father.

C.C. is a good man but he's dead. Their new colleague, Captain Marvel, is a dead guy masquerading as a bubbly young man, alive and in his prime.

The adorable spunky boy stayed forefront in Bruce's mind. More than ever, he had to make the boy a Wayne - a Bat!

Billy needs a father who is still alive, to raise him the way he deserves to be raised.

Smiling to himself at the thought of that tiny urchin infiltrating his home to protect him, he couldn't help a warm fuzzy feeling bubbling in his heart. He's growing fond of the adorable tyke.

The scamp has a strategical mind. He thought ahead and arranged for both Superman and Captain Marvel to back him up, on top of the news networks in both Fawcett and Metropolis.

He'd make an ideal Robin.

Damian wants that title and is equally qualified, but what's to stop Batman from having two Robins?

Billy loves red so much, he could be Red Robin.

*

Captain Marvel completed his patrol in Fawcett after filing his mission report. Billy swallowed Bruce's charade, but as Captain Marvel, he saw through it. The wisdom of Solomon made it clear that Bruce Wayne is Batman. It's as clear that Clark Kent is Superman. How could he not have seen all this.

He changed back to Billy away from Wayne Estate's security cameras and entered the Manor.

"Billy," Bruce Wayne held his shoulder in a firm but gentle grip.

"Mister Wayne!" Billy startled. "I'll go pack up and leave now."

"What?" Bruce frowned. "Why?"

"I know you must be angry with me for spying on you," Billy mumbled, shuffling his feet.

"You meant well. You are a smart kid," Bruce ruffled his hair. "I'm proud of you."

"You're what?" Billy's jaw dropped.

"Call me B.," he grinned. "Get some rest for now. I want you to help me out with my other business, son."

"O-other b-business?" Billy's heart sank. He didn't like where this was going.

"Night business," Bruce winked. "And call me B."

Billy's heart pounded like drums as the Wisdom of Billy Batson kicked in.

Someone's been pumping money into the crime syndicate that spanned Gotham, Metropolis and now Fawcett. Law enforcement would never touch Wayne Enterprise. Justice League wouldn't touch anything related to Bruce Wayne because he funds the League.

Wayne Enterprise is said to be worth Trillions, yet no one knows where most of the money came from.

Night business.

Could Bruce Wayne be laundering money at night on behalf of the crime syndicate?

Bruce's dalliance with Talia Al Ghul made him suspect.

Only one way to find out. Billy style.

Clark mentioned something suspicious in the East Wing two levels underground so that's his first lead.

Bruce's footsteps faded away.

Billy yanked open a loose vent and slipped inside, careful to cover the vent to hide his tracks.

He made his way through the network of tunnels until he approached the spot Clark pointed out.

Green light lit the way. Kryptonite green. Or green lantern green?

He peered through the grating and saw a room full of glowing green rocks.

Hopping out of the vent, Billy sent photos and videos of everything in the room to Clark.

BB: Stay away. Probably Kryptonite. I'll deal with it.

CK: What? No. Get out of there. Superman will take care of it.

BB: Kryptonite! Stay away.

CK: Superman will destroy it from afar with telescopic and heat vision. Send me the coordinates and get out of there.

BB: I can manage. Cap can handle Kryptonite.

CK: Call Captain Marvel to get you out and to make sure no one is around. Superman will be working blind. Text me if Cap doesn't show up in fifteen minutes.

BB: ... okay

Footsteps.

Alfred walked down the steps outside the room, a covered silver tray in hand.

"Shazam," Billy whispered, the transformation, loud and instant.

He whisked Alfred away and then searched the surrounding area for living beings to evacuate. There were none. He breathed a sigh of relief, when red rays engulfed him, vaporising his surroundings, destroying all traces of Kryptonite.

"Ouch Supes, that stings!" Though unharmed, he fumed. Arms crossed, he flew towards Big Blue. "What were you thinking?"

"Working blind," Superman shrugged. "You should know to get out of the way."

Alarms went off.

Wayne Estate's security!

They had essentially broken in and destroyed the private property of a billionaire.