xxi.

Corlys looks up at Leanna as the Small Council begins to filter in

Corlys looks up at Leanna as the Small Council begins to filter in. First, the new Grand Maester Runciter. Then the others, each faltering just beyond the door as they see Corlys seated calmly in the chair that belongs to the Hand of the King.

Otto had sat at the head when he called the meetings. In the chair reserved for the king. Pompous, and foolish.

"What is the meaning of this?" Ser Ryam Redwyne asks, lifting a hand to his sword pommel.

"Unfortunately," Leanna dips her chin, "Otto Hightower has been dispatched from his position and has returned to Oldtown."

The gazes turn to her. To her position behind the chair across from Corlys.

"Under whose authority?" Runciter splutters.

"The King's," Viserys answers, stepping from the back of the room to his position. He procures the parchment, placing it on the table. "Signed yesterday. You will find that King Jaehaerys is rather displeased by the actions of this council behind his back. He has instructed me to assume his position on this council to ensure your actions remain in the best interest of the realm." He sweeps his hand towards Corlys. "He has taken my suggestion to name Lord Corlys Velaryon as Hand of the King. And of my own volition, I have selected Lady Leanna Baratheon to be my Advisor."

Runciter's jaw works. He had been the most forward supporter of Otto Hightower, likely under influence from the Citadel. Had Allar not died so soon after the Great Council, Leanna has doubts that Otto would have been instated at all.

He is the last to sit at the table, finally finding his chair with a shaking hand and unable to speak his mind.

Viserys's gaze flickers to Leanna's before he begins. Subtly, she dips her chin. Giving him the confidence he will need to lead this meeting, and all future meetings. No longer will the Small Council run unruly.

This is a new year, and a year that Leanna knows will bring change to Westeros. Good change, fostered by the faith in the new heir. Viserys would be well-liked. His image would be as golden as his grandfather's, as long as he continued to express his own mind.

Leanna remains in King's Landing for one month more before she feels the tug of her homelands calling her south. Feeling that Daemon has a hold on King's Landing, she departs the city in the second moon. Too long has she been away from Storm's End, from her own council.

And too long has she been away from her sons.

These months have not been easy. There is finally an opportunity to relax as she steps into the familiar halls. Her own people don't hold her to nearly the same standard as the capitol. She is allowed to move through the halls untroubled, her hair loose and posture far more relaxed. They will not judge her words, nor her actions.

The first thing she does upon arrival is to make her way to the nursery, to where Aerys has just woken. The toddler grabs at her hand as she leans over his bed, gurgling softly. She scoops him up, hoisting him onto her hip. She studies him, brushing the shock of blond hair away from his forehead.

Her son has reached a year of life without any issues. No illness, no injuries, and no setbacks in his growth. Rather, he was large for a child of his age. His hair had grown quickly, white-blond curls beginning to curl away from his head wildly.

Gently, she shifts him in her arms. Sighing, grateful to be home, she turns for the door. The wet nurse enters the chambers to her right, awakened by her arrival. Quickly, the familiar woman grins.

"My Lady," she curtsies. "It's wonderful to see you returned safely. I was just about to feed young lord Orlys."

"I am glad to be returned, Ola. How is he?"

"Growing like a little fiend. I think he'll be bigger than his brother, he will."

"He's a Baratheon," she grins. "We make mountains of men."

"That's right," Ola smiles back. The older woman had been Leanna and Borros's nurse, too. She had watched them grow, had cared for them even when their mother died from distemper. Now, she cared for Leanna's children as well. "How was the big city, then?"

"Exhausting. I brought you a gift," Leanna answers. "It's in my trunks."

Ola blushes, looking away. "You didn't have to, my Lady."

"I have left my two children with you for months," Leanna chides. "Not only have you been caring for them day in and day out, but you have protected them. I should do a lot more than give you a mere gift, Ola."

"It's my job," Ola counters. Leanna steps forward, clasping the woman's wrinkled hand.

"A job you do well, and then some. I will still express my gratitude."

Ola smiles at her, her eyes crinkling kindly. "Has your lord-husband returned with you? I did not hear Caraxes arrive."

"Daemon remains in King's Landing for now. I'm certain you've heard how we have been challenged lately."

"Yes," Ola's smile fades. "Word has reached us. I'm glad you prevailed."

"At a cost," Leanna sighs. She sets Aerys down on the rug as he wiggles against her. "I'm certain we will yet meet repercussions in the coming months."

"It's a good thing you have a strong will, my Lady. I would not like to be your adversary."

"If only a strong will could win the battles between lords."

From the room beyond, Orlys begins to cry. Ola curtsies again and moves for the door.

The hour is late when Leanna finally leaves the nursery, and even then she is unwilling to depart from her sons. In the quiet of her own chambers, she feels uneasy.

It has been some time since she went to sleep alone. Daemon has been with her ever since they departed Harrenhal, sharing her space and warming her nights. She feels his absence more acutely now than before. His absence, and the stress of everything that has happened since the Great Council.

Sighing, she sinks onto the bed. More than two years have passed since her marriage to Daemon Targaryen, and she is starting to feel the progression of her life tumbling away from her. Faster and faster until she swears she will return to the nursery and Aerys will stand a man before her.

It feels like there has been a cloud hanging over them, and now the storm is beginning to unleash.