xxvi.

Aerys returns with Daemon from the final battle in the Stepstones victorious, and with a new blade in his hand

Aerys returns with Daemon from the final battle in the Stepstones victorious, and with a new blade in his hand. Leanna watches the dragons land before the gates, eyeing the handle of the once-familiar sword.

Fifteen, she thinks, is too young for this. And yet who is she to deny her son his birthright? To deny him what he deserves, even. Fifteen, knighted before an army with Dark Sister. Bestowed with Blackfyre, a gift from the king himself as a sign of good faith before the marriage to the princess.

Fifteen, about to marry a princess. Leanna was no fool. She knew that their relationship was more than they would admit to anyone. Something had ignited between them long ago, a tempest that not even Otto Hightower would dare to stand between.

The proposal had resulted in anger from a variety of lords, most of whom had wished to put their own sons forward before the princess. And yet, when Aerys visited the capitol next, there were none who could deny the true bond between the princess and the young knight. He was more than her muse. He shadowed her like a guard. Her protector, ever present and always ready to defend her. Now, at the arrival of their wedding night, it was far more than a mere arrangement. It was a love match.

Leanna hardly misses the queen's absence from the feast. She only notices it when whispers begin to fly, and there is a noticeable shifting of heads around the room. Rhaenyra is hardly bothered, entirely enamored by Aerys. However, when the doors the hall open, the princess finally shifts her head.

None had been so opposed to this marriage as Alicent Hightower. She had wished Rhaenyra to be wed to her son Aegon, and the snub from her own husband was great. When Alicent Hightower steps into the hall in a green dress, there are a flurry of whispers. Late, and now sporting Hightower colors. No longer does she wear the blacks and reds of the Targaryen crest. No, Alicent is making a statement. One that, as she seats herself at Viserys's side, creates a split.

To Viserys's left there is Alicent, and her children. To his right, there is Rhaenyra, her new husband, and Daemon's issue. Leanna squeezes her chalice, hard. Enough to show the white of her knuckles, and enough for Daemon to drop his hand to her leg and squeeze it lightly. She wants nothing more than to down the wine in the goblet in one gulp.

She hardly relaxes, even as Rhaenyra and Aerys take the floor to dance. Lightly, the princess brushes his arm, laughing as they twirl about the room. Swiftly, more of the attendees join them. Leanna smiles tightly as her eldest daughter, dragging her betrothed, rushes to the floor. The crowd blocks them from their gaze for long moments, with only Rhaenyra's white dress keeping her separate from the crowd.

Leanna is only just settling when there are screams. Daemon half rises, hand going to Dark Sister at his hip. The crowd at the center of the room begins to push wildly, crushing in their fear. Leanna, too, rises. Orlys is already lunging over the table when they see Aerys, hoisting Rhaenyra and moving swiftly for the exit to the room.

"Laenor!" The cry cuts through the room. Loud and clear, the voice from Rhaella at the center of the room.

Orlys, even broader and taller than his elder brother, bellows. Like a bear, parting the crowd with his presence alone. They quiet, and through the path he has made, they can see the cause of the disruption.

Criston Cole, knight of the Kingsguard, is poised over Laenor Velaryon. Armored fists raised, and Laenor's face unrecognizable. Beaten to nothing in a fit of rage so dark that Leanna feels ill. Rhaella, his betrothed, cries out. Loud, in horror. She starts to drop to her knees, caught by her brother as he arrives at her side. Orlys, and then Aerion as he joins his brother, curve Rhaella away from the sight. The girl is crying, so hysterical that Leanna can feel every sob in her soul. She pushes at Daemon, urging him to go to their children. This was the kind of horror they should not have faced. Not on their brother's wedding night.

The shock of the death is enough to send everyone fleeing. Once Rhaenyra is located safely in her chambers with Aerys, the Small Council meets abruptly. Corlys is in a rage, focusing all his anger on Viserys before he gives into grief.

"My son is dead!" He roars. "He must be put to death!"

"Viserys, no," Alicent pleads, reaching for Viserys's arm. Leanna folds her arms, staring down the queen.

"Is there a reason you defend him, my Queen?" The term is dripping with poison. Alicent catches it, nearly flinching as she meets Leanna's gaze. Seldom has she dealt with Leanna directly, and now she will learn the certain wrath of the Lady Paramount. "In this realm we deal the hand of justice when it is due. Considering a noble lord's son is dead without any just cause, there is no other answer."

"Ser Criston is sworn to me," she answers, lifting her chin. "My protector. I will not allow him to be put to death."

"That is no longer your call to make," Corlys bites, raising a finger. "Viserys, you cannot allow her to overrule you."

Again, the queen turns to him. Imploring. Pleading. Viserys looks at her, hesitating. "It's true. I granted him to her a year ago."

"And?" Daemon finally bites from his position behind Leanna. "You are the king. Your word is all. Do not be pushed around like a weak fool because you are afraid of the Hightowers."

Leanna rubs her head, both exhausted and annoyed. "Viserys," she implores. "Ser Criston has both taken an heir from the Velaryon line, and a future husband from my daughter. You must consider the repercussions if you allow your wife to hold any say over this matter."

Viserys shakes his head, withdrawing. He lifts his hand, gesturing at Alicent. As if his mind is addled and there is nothing else he can do. "It is Alicent's decision. He is her protector."

The room stands in silent shock as the king leaves the room. Alicent turns, facing the Small Council. The Small Council that are most certainly against her in this moment. Even her supporters would call this unjust. Defiantly, she lifts her chin.

"I will not put him to the blade."

Daemon is forced to lunge forward and restrain Corlys as the Lord of the Tides reacts. His arms held back, Corlys curses at her. "Fool. You will pay for this." He spits at the ground. It's a threat that should be punishable by death, yet when Alicent turns to the remaining Kingsguard, they do not meet her gaze. She is alone in this room. Utterly abandoned, for Otto has been long-dismissed.

Her lip is quivering as she marches past them. Chin still raised, but her confidence is shriveled. Leanna steps in front of Corlys, lifting a hand to his arm.

"You must calm yourself. The Lady Alicent will learn that you must be prepared to play these dangerous games. Your retribution will come, my Lord."

Corlys sags. Daemon releases his arms and steps backwards. Corlys, defeated, allows his head to hang. "What am I going to tell Rhaenys?" Carefully, aware of the room watching her, Leanna steps to him. Whispering into his ear for only him and Daemon to hear.

"You will tell her to prepare herself, for a certain war is coming, and we will not back down."