xxxi.

Leanna watches Laena stretch her hand towards Orlys, laughing brightly

Leanna watches Laena stretch her hand towards Orlys, laughing brightly. Here, in Storm's End, there was a marked contrast from King's Landing. There was a cloud hanging over this castle, but it was not yet dark in the cyclone of a hurricane. Soon, she feels, it will get there.

Especially as Laena pulls Orlys towards the mountain of a dragon resting far beyond the castle walls. Vhagar is a force unimaginable. Larger than Leanna can comprehend, no matter how many times she sees the great dragon. She was a war machine, scarred and brutal.

"This feels too dangerous," she whispers, closing her eyes. Daemon squeezes her hand.

"It won't go badly. Laena has had several years to perfect her bond with Vhagar."

They both turn at the sound of scuffling feet behind them. Rhaella and Aerion, appearing with wide eyes on the ramparts as their brother grows smaller.

Rhaella's eyes are wistful as she watches Orlys and his bride go towards the dragon. In the months since she claimed Seasmoke, and Alyssa's death, her bond with her dragon has been a sore subject. Hard-won, but difficult to maintain. Rhaella has worked just as hard to bond with Seasmoke as she has with the blade. He seldom listens to her commands, making Leanna nervous to grant the girl freedom when she wishes to fly on him. Yet she ignores the counsel from the Dragonpit, choosing not to send the dragon back to be trained and prodded until he was mindless once more.

Seasmoke was now protective and ferocious when it came to Rhaella. No one could approach him, save her. Other dragons made him uneasy, and he was kept far from the others when they were near Storm's End. For, as Daemon had wormed into her mind, he was echoing his rider's feelings. Her fear was now his.

"Come on," Leanna brushes Rhaella's chin, turning her eyes from the large dragon. "Are all your things packed?"

"Just about."

"Please be careful," Leanna presses. "It's a long journey to Dragonstone from here."

"I will be," she promises. Behind her, Aerion pouts.

"It's not fair everybody gets to fly there except for me," he complains. It's Daemon who turns to him, shaking his head ruefully.

"Your mother isn't."

"Why can't I ride with you?" Aerion presses, grabbing at Daemon's sleeve. "Please?"

"Who's going to sail with me, then?" Leanna ruffles his hair, but does not relay her unease. Alyssa's death had put things into perspective for her. She could not truly counsel Orlys against riding with Laena, but her agreement with Daemon was set in stone.

They had other things to consider now, beyond travel speed and the thrill of flying together. They would not ride together until their lives were exhausted and their children grown. The risk of them both falling while riding Caraxes was far too great. She wouldn't encourage Daemon's flight with any of their children, either. Yet she would not forbid it. Just...not so soon.