CHAPTER NINE

Tamlin had disappeared again.

Callisto didn't know where he'd gone after the confrontation in the sitting room. Not that she bothered to run after him when he'd so quickly fled their awkward exchange.

Callisto was still torn between throttling Tamlin or thanking him, and she was grateful for Helion's distracting presence. The High Lord of Day was teaching her about wards and spells and flirting with her in between, so she didn't have much time to think about the other High Lord, who should've been present in the manor and who was constantly present in her mind.

It was deep into the evening when Azriel returned.

He found Callisto sitting on the couch with Helion, listening with rapt attention as he told her about the special stable where he kept his Pegasi. They were full from dinner and a little full from the wine that Rhysand so kindly brought over, along with other food that Callisto enjoyed. Their glasses still sat, half-filled, as they chatted.

However, the Shadowsinger's arrival wasn't as stealthy as he'd hoped it would be.

Helion immediately turned those amber eyes toward him, and Callisto followed the High Lord's gaze, a smile lighting up her face as she saw her friend.

"Well, look who has finally arrived. Care to join us for a drink?" Helion asked before Callie could even greet Azriel. Helion raised his wine glass toward the Illyrian warrior, and Azriel's expression remained blank.

"I'm supposed to be guarding Callisto. I don't think Rhysand would appreciate me drinking," he pointed out.

Helion pouted, and it sent Callisto into a fit of giggles to see a centuries-old, powerful High Fae look like a five-year-old. But, Helion wasn't one to give up so easily, and he bounced back with another question, his voice dropping an octave lower. "How about joining us in bed?" He purred, his eyebrow arching seductively.

The sound of his voice sent a shiver down Callisto's spine, but Azriel's passive look didn't waver. He only inclined his head to the side, observing the two individuals on the couch. Helion had his arm thrown on the back of the couch, close to Callisto's shoulders. The female had her knees drawn up to her chest. Her dark, unbound hair fell loosely around her shoulders, contrasting against the creamy skin that was on display from the straps of her long, dark blue dress.

"I wasn't aware Callisto invited you to bed," Azriel finally spoke, tearing his eyes away from his friend's sister. "Perhaps I'm not needed this evening after all."

At his words, Callisto's cheeks flamed, but she played along with the High Lord's little game. "The invitation was not open to everyone," she argued, flashing angry eyes to Helion, who gave a light chuckle and an innocent shrug.

It was Azriel's turn to smile. "But you already invited me to bed last night."

Helion arched his eyebrow in curiosity, suddenly sitting up straight. "Oh, do tell Azriel. And did Callisto succeed where I've failed repeatedly?"

"I would answer your question, but I don't want to hurt your feelings," the Shadowsinger replied, surprising both Callisto and Helion. It was so rare for Azriel to whip out those smart comebacks of his, so subdued and reserved was he usually.

"I don't know what it is about you, Princess, but these males act so strangely when you're around."

Azriel frowned at the nickname, but Callisto was simply shrugging those delicate shoulders of hers, a beautiful smile gracing her lips. Helion's eyes twinkled as he smiled back, and Azriel had enough of their subtle flirting.

"I do believe Callisto needs her rest. You said it yourself, Helion."

Callisto rolled her eyes at that, but the High Lord of Day agreed with the Shadowsinger and got to his feet. "That's his nice way of telling me to get the Hel out of here before he kicks me out. And he hasn't even thanked me for putting up the wards."