CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

Callisto's mind was a tempest, churning with questions and concerns about Rhysand.

What was he hiding? Was there some new peril lurking beyond their fragile peace?

The sudden, sharp rap at the front door shattered the oppressive quiet. Callisto got to her feet, curiosity flickering briefly. She headed for the foyer, only to find Tamlin already standing by the door.

"I apologize for the disturbance, High Lord," came a respectful voice. Callisto guessed someone from the nearby village was there for an audience with him. "The people want to know if we will be celebrating Calanmai so that the proper preparations can be made."

Callisto froze, her mind bringing up memories of the distant holiday. It wasn't a big celebration back in the Night Court, not like Starfall. But she knew it signaled the beginning of Spring. So much time had passed since her return, and now, the seasons were turning.

Longing shot through her. She wondered what her family would be doing to celebrate the holiday, if they would be gathering at the House of Wind or the townhouse. The sound of the door clicking shut brought Callisto back to the present.

"Rhysand's already left?" Tamlin inquired, his voice tinged with surprise when he spotted her standing there.

Callisto met his gaze, unable to hide her unease at the mention of her brother's name. She offered a silent nod, the weight of unspoken anxieties pressing down on her. Tamlin felt his own unease rise. He expected her to be happier after spending some time with Rhysand. Had something gone wrong? Had she finally told him about the incident with the Nagas?

Thankfully, he had an idea to make her feel better.

"Hot chocolate in the library?"

The mention of her two favorite things made Callisto's lips twitch. Without a word, she reached for Tamlin's hand and let him lead her to the quiet haven nestled in the second floor of the manor. She inhaled the comforting smell of aged leather and parchment as soon as they entered, the scent a temporary balm to whatever worried her.

Tamlin led her to two plush, overstuffed chairs positioned across from each other. The inviting space was bathed in the soft purr of the flames dancing in the hearth. A low, glass-topped table nestled between them already held the tempting spread—steaming mugs of rich, dark chocolate. Their aroma mingled with the delicate sweetness of pastries piled high on a silver platter.

Callisto sank into one chair, already reaching for her mug. Tamlin settled across from her, his green eyes shimmering with concern. "What's on your mind? I expected you to be in a happier mood after your brother's visit."

The shadows in Tamlin's eyes deepened as Callisto confided in him, her voice tinged with apprehension. "He seemed preoccupied, burdened with something he wouldn't share," she murmured, "almost as if he didn't want to worry me. Then, he turned around and asked how you were doing."

The mention of Rhysand's inquiry about him sparked a flicker of hope in his chest. "He asked about me?" he repeated.

Callisto confirmed with a short nod. "Trust me, I was as surprised as you. But maybe... your old friendship also lingers in his mind.

Tamlin didn't dare voice his hope like Callisto did because he didn't know if he could deal with the blow of disappointment if they were wrong. No one would fully ever understand Rhysand's motives, that much he knew. But he sighed, having an idea as to what was bothering the High Lord of the Nigh Court.

"Maybe Rhysand is also having trouble with the Autumn Court," he pointed out. "I've heard reports that the incident we intervened in last time was not a single occurrence. The Summer and Spring faeries aren't the only ones being harassed by Autumn soldiers. I've tried reaching out to Beron, but his silence speaks volumes."