Chapter 49.

"Don't meddle in my business," Illuki's eyes narrow at the young boy, forcing him to back away from the matter instantly. She had no desire to involve the heir and his first-ever friend in Phantom Troupe matters – especially when they were hunting their blonde friend who she was having a stand-off at the moment. "If it weren't for me, your friend wouldn't have an arm," she snaps, referring to when Feitan held Gon by his arm in an iron grip – prepared to break it to earn answers from the Freecss boy.

"Who are you?" Kurapika asks, scowling at the woman who turns her eyes to him. He stood in a fighting stance, Nen chains on his hands ready for defence in case she choose to attack them.

The Zoldyck female hums, a manicured finger tapping against her cold cheek while her head tips slightly to the side – blue eyes analysing the Kurta survivor with interest. "Illuki Zoldyck. Assassin, Hunter – Web," the ends of her lips slowly curl into a cruel smirk as she watches the boy's face fall as she introduces herself to the group.

"The web..," Leorio mutters softly, gaping at the petite, dichromatic-haired woman who stands before them with her hands holstered on her waist – weight shifted to her left leg with a smirk on her face. Kurapika remains silent, his hands clenching into fists while his eyes widen in astonishment; grey pupils quavering.

"Web?" Gon questions out loud, glancing over at Illuki but is ignored by the group.

"Don't worry," the assassin walks over to the open window, glancing at them from over her shoulder. "I'm not here to kill you. That wouldn't be any fun~," she gives an innocent closed-eye smile before disappearing into the night.

The friends are left in the apartment room in complete silence, not one of them daring to move until Kurapika's phone rings in his pocket. Slowly, he reaches for the object and answers the call – pressing the rectangular device to his ear. Hello? Melody? What is it?" he answers quickly, eyeing the Zoldyck who smiles innocently, skimming over the books on the shelving unit beside her.

"The community has called off the hunt for the remaining Troupe members. We've learned that they come from Meteor City but there was no information regarding that unknown woman with them," Melody notifies her friend over the phone. "The Dons gave the order directly. The reward has been rescinded."

"The reward has been rescinded? Seriously?" Killua asks the blonde, sitting back down after the confrontation with his sister. He looks over at Gon who also turns to look at him.

"The Troupe comes from Meteor City," Kurapika mutters, ingesting the information his comrade had given him.

Leorio looks up slightly, holding his chin in between his pointer finger and thumb. "Makes sense...That explains why their identities are still unknown, and why the cops haven't been able to catch them," he says.

"What's Meteor City?" Gon asks the older boys.

"A city populated by people who, as far as society is concerned, don't exist," Leorio answers the question about Meteor City. "Officially, it's unpopulated but it's said that 10 million people live there. It began as a dump over 1,500 years ago. People lived off the garbage that was dumped there. You're allowed to dump anything there. From garbage to weapons, and even people. And the residents will accept anything left there," the aspiring doctor tells the two juveniles. "I've heard that Meteor City residents share a bond that's thinner than that between strangers, stronger than that between family members," he finishes.

"Actually, there are those who provide Meteor City with weapons and precious metals under the pretext of garbage. That would be the Mafia community," Kurapika added to the explanation of the impounded city. Gon was surprised by the information, wanting to know why the Mafia were hunting for the Phantom Troupe if they came from Meteor City. "In return, the Mafia recruited people from Meteor City," the blonde tells the pair.

Leorio takes over the explanation, pointing in the air as he speaks. "People who didn't exist, as far as society was concerned. They're perfect for criminal activity. The Troupe destroyed the usually intimate relationship between the Mafia community and Meteor City. but the Mafia has decided to prioritise that relationship," he finishes.

"What about Iris-san?" Gon asks Leorio and Kurapika who exchange glances before the blonde answers, his head hanging slightly before looking up at the brown-eyed boy.

"A few years ago, there was a rumour going around about a new addition to the troupe, but as far as anyone knew, there wasn't much information regarding them. From the reports I've managed to find, it seemed like the person worked purely as security for the troupe which earned them the title of the troupe's Web," the blonde informs Killua and Gon, looking at the pair in the eyes. "Recently, it was discovered that the troupe's Web acts as the second-in-command when their leader is missing," he finishes relaying the information.

Killua stares at the ground, drowning himself in his thoughts after learning about his sister's involvement with the Phantom Troupe. He thought back to his time in the hideout with the troupe members, recalling the moment his sister appeared in front of him – a smile on her face, interacting and commanding the troupe members around with ease and the authoritative aura that encircled her figure. The young heir scatters through his memories, recalling the time his father warned him and his siblings about staying away from the troupe; his rough voice commenting about his fight against a troupe member.

'Did dad know about nee-chan being with them? Is that why he wanted us to avoid them? Because there was a chance of us bumping into her?' he asked himself; he shook his head, the imagery of his older brother and sister appearing in a purple mist – looming over him with dead eyes staring into his soul – their voice echoes in his head, reminding him that he wouldn't be able to defeat either twin.