Chapter Two

"I don't think that I'll be able to get rid of it. However, I can try to help you work through the trauma inflicted by the Lich through psychology." Gumball told Fionna. 
"I... Can't you just get some magic, or something? Bury the memories?" 
"That won't solve the larger issue." Gumball told her. "Psychology will help you work through your issues. For instance, if a certain vampire would just own up to having abandonment issues, I could help him through it." 

Gumball started ranting about Marshall, and Fionna zoned out, only to find that the vampire in question was making faces at her behind Gumball. 
She covered her mouth with her hand to keep from letting Gumball see her laugh, but Gumball quickly caught on. "I know you're here, Marshall Lee. Stop mocking me immediately!" 

Marshall landed upside down with his feet on the ceiling. "Stop saying I have abandonment issues." 
"You...! You do have abandonment issues! Denial won't help you!" 
"Yeah, and ranting about me isn't going to help Fionna." Marshall pointed out. 
"Get your feet off of there immediately!" Gumball hissed. 

"Mm... no. Besides, aren't you supposed to be helping Fionna?" 
"It could take years of therapy. Starting now won't make a difference." 
"Oh, years. Tell me, how is that going to help her again?" 
"It's better than nothing!" Gumball growled. "Psychology is a very complex process-- look at me when I'm talking to you!" 

Marshall had landed right side up, and was walking over to Fionna. "My lullaby last night helped you, right?" 
"Yeah, it did. Thanks." 
"No problem, Fi." Marshall smiled softly. 

"Oh, honestly...! Fionna, the nightmare is part of a larger issue!" Gumball explained. "Likely, it stems from your fear of the Lich and her inevitable return!" 
"Question: what exactly happened to the Lich?" Marshall asked. 
Gumball and Fionna shrugged. 

"Following the events of the citadel incident, the Lich veered from the perceived path and somehow managed to achieve a radical state of growth, quickly regaining its former adult body." Gumball said. "Its current whereabouts are unknown." 
"In the common tongue?" Marshall demanded. 
"After me and Cake--" 

"Cake and I." Gumball corrected. 
"--turned the Lich into a baby, she somehow grew up really fast and went back to the way she was before, a skeleton and everything. We don't know where she is. She hasn't been making trouble, but..." Fionna sighed. "She's gonna come back someday." 
"Uh huh... and neither of you told literally anybody else about our apparently impending doom?" 

"Gumball said that it would only cause mass panic." Fionna pointed out. "There's really nothing we can do about it." 
Marshall narrowed his eyes at Gumball, before turning back to Fionna. "I think I solved your problem, Fi." 
"Really? How?" 
"You're a heroine, right? You like to help people? You don't like leaving them in potential danger? You're racked by guilt, Fi. Guilt that the Lich is gonna come back and no one's going to be ready." 

Fionna rubbed her arm. "I guess... that makes sense. So, I should tell everybody?" 
"NO!" Gumball interjected. "Fionna, that would cause mass hysteria! The Lich hasn't attacked yet. What we need to do is keep the people from needless panic. Inciting hysteria will only lead to trouble. Clearly we need to find and contain the Lich." 

"And that will fix my mind?" Fionna asked. 
"I... it's a start." Gumball shrugged. 
"It's a start." Marshall repeated mockingly. "And what happens if the Lich hurts Fi? Think of it this way-- who's going to save your butt then? The Lich will be coming for you, and if your people find out that you kept this from them--"

"Stop it!" Fionna snapped, getting between them. "No one is going to die, except maybe the Lich, and even if something does happen to me, I'm not going down without a fight." 
"Oh great, so you're going to march into the Lich's den all by yourself?" Marshall asked. 
"You're welcome to come with me." Fionna pointed out. 
"I... seriously? You want me to charge headfirst into certain death with you on the slight chance that we both succeed?" 

"That's the plan." Fionna agreed. "I get it if you don't want to come, but I'm sure as heck going." 
"Yeah? You didn't let me finish. I'm totally coming with you. I mean, it's certain death, but it's going to be fun." Marshall grinned. 
"Awesome!" Fionna cheered. 
Gumball sighed. "Fionna, as much as I'm loathe to admit it, the stupid vampire has a point. I do need you, or at least the Candy Kingdom needs you. So when you find the Lich, don't engage her in combat. And you should definitely take Marshall with you." 

"Okay, but she is a monster who shoots green fire and has mind control powers." Fionna pointed out. 
"I know, I know... you just have to track her down. And then I want you to come back here. We still need to talk about how to treat you psychologically." 
"I thought when we take down the Lich, that'll fix it." Fionna pointed out. Marshall nodded emphatically. 
Gumball sighed, then tapped Fionna's forehead. "The problem is in there. And it's going to stay there, Lich or no. Leaving something to fester will basically turn you into a nervous bundle of insanity, or someone who can accept no responsibility and can't be left alone with himself." Here he shot Marshall a very pointed look. 

Marshall pulled Fionna close and gestured to her. "Fi is a she. Fi identifies as a she. Therefore, you have to use the correct pronouns." 
Gumball crossed his arms. "If I used 'herself', you would respond by saying that you're a male. Regardless, my point is clearly that you would end up like him, Fionna. You don't want to be like him... In any case, when are you two setting out?" 

"We need a map first." Fionna said.  
"And I need my axe, so... later?" Marshall proposed. 
"Later isn't an exact time, you... fine, later then. In case I don't see either of you before you leave, good luck." 

~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~

*Author's Note* 

Point of interest #1: As I write this, it's June 21st, 2015. And I have seen the season 6 finale of Adventure Time, where it's revealed that Finn is a serious of reincarnations following being a comet (look, I'm bad at explaining things, but I'm pretty sure that you all know what I'm talking about). I guess that works for this story, but it will be focusing more on things like bloodlines and ancestry. Specifically, in Fionna. Hence, this convenient note. 

Point of interest #2: Let's play guess the foreshadowing! And the exact meaning of the foreshadowing! (Hint, it's in the dialogue and is not the intended... purpose of... hm.) You know, a fanfic about Fionna and Marshall switching bodies would be kind of hard to pull off. I honestly don't know if I'm up to the challenge.