prologue

0.0 - traffic sucks

It's crazy, girlhood, that is

It's crazy, girlhood, that is. A girl can be told ten thousand times in their life that they're beautiful but never believe it. They can be twenty pounds and still find a chunk of fat or cellulite. They can have clear skin but still look for one red mark. They can have the most beautiful hair and still think it's too boring. Girlhood sucked. A sixteen-year-old experiencing girlhood was even worse.

Wyatt Howard was a gorgeous girl who, just like other teenagers, picked out a body image to latch onto. Her mirror time had increased drastically since freshman year and she's never found her way out of the 'not good enough' phase. Hell, she was beginning to wonder if there were even doors she could break down just to think for once she was gorgeous.

You can't blame her, Lucy Howard, her older sister, was amazing. She was popular and she had every boy falling for her. It always kicked Wyatt in the gut when one of her crushes asked her to set the two up. As for her younger sister, Jackie, she was on a one-way track to Princeton and her smarts couldn't be competed with. Wyatt was just a sweetheart who was good at tennis and opening her legs and someone who was always on the receiving end of a compliment that she never believed was genuine.

Even now, standing in front of a body-length mirror in her spotless bedroom, Dior outfit with a sparkly black dress, bright pink earrings, and every other pink accessory to match, she still felt like it wasn't good enough. She'd gotten bangs just seven hours ago and now regretted every choice, she had her mom do her makeup and now worried that the lipgloss was too kiddish and the eyeshadow was too dark. She didn't feel right about the night and it was starting to make every insecurity triple.

"Wyatt, are you almost ready?" Jackie's voice called down the hallway. Wyatt would be going early to get the party in motion while her parents and Lucy would be coming later. Her brown doe eyes finally pulled away from the lit-up mirror and turned to her door where Jackie was sure to burst through.

Her mind was working on over time as she stared at the slab of wood. The door got painted light pink earlier that month and now she was wondering if it should go back to white. Finally, a distraction in the form of a 5'4" girl popped in with a large grin.

Wyatt's face lit up at the excitement on Jackie's face and she said the first thing to come to mind. "Jack, you look beautiful."

She did, too, she was wearing a red designer dress with her hair styled by their mom. Wyatt had a big sister moment before Jackie ruined it with a scoff and a laugh. "First off, I told you to stop calling me Jack. Just because you have a guy name doesn't mean you can just give me one too." This got a fit of giggles from both girls as Wyatt shot her eyes to the floor. "Second, you look amazing, Wyatt."