chapter four

0.4 - ice cream soda cherry on top

Wyatt had faced many firsts in her life to the point where she was already on seconds or thirds of each experience, but she could positively say she had experienced a first on her first day of school

Wyatt had faced many firsts in her life to the point where she was already on seconds or thirds of each experience, but she could positively say she had experienced a first on her first day of school... it was the first time that she had been disappointed to hear the bell ring for the end of the day.

She had been sitting in her seventh hour, Mr. Choudhry's English III, with both Katie and Ramona, the girls latching on to all of her New York stories Wyatt could tell them without getting caught. She may have had friends back in New York but they were still the ones who had her on delivered— other than MJ who hadn't stopped spamming her— but there was a change in friends in Colorado. It seemed like they were less about the status part of it all like they didn't care if they talked to a geek or a jock. It was a relief for Wyatt.

"Do you like ice cream?" Ramona had asked before Wyatt could even fit her five-subject notebook into her bag. The Howard girl suppressed a grin that showed too much excitement and instead decided on a much calmer nod. "Great, tell Cole you're going with us."

Katie stood up with her backpack on her shoulders, hummed slightly, and looked over to where Cole was already by the door. To some, it looked like he was waiting on the Howard but that couldn't possibly be right because it's not completely an asshole move to do that. With a sigh from Wyatt, she gathered her things and walked over to the drastically taller boy, at least a head.

"Cole," she greeted tightly. She noticed his lips turn up just slightly when he looked down but didn't sit on the fact.

"Princess."

She huffed out a thick breath and broke her eye contact with his bright blue eyes. Her tone was cold as she finished it off, "I'm getting ice cream with Ramona and Katie so don't wait on me at three thirty."

He chuckled oh so lightly and nodded along. "I'll tell Mom, but I'll be back before six." She wondered about his politeness but then, like a switch he was back to normal. Like he reminded himself of something. "Or don't be, I frankly don't care."

Her eyes rolled so hard her head hurt but she paid no mind to it, turning away from the imbecile and going to her new friends with a thumbs up, not forgetting to throw up a different finger for Cole.

"Jesus Christ," Wyatt mumbled, her lips still around her straw. Her new friends, Ramona and Katie both turned from their bowls of ice cream to look at the new girl. Their eyes were wide and awaiting for Wyatt to explain further— she did so with a grumble. "They left Jackie."

Katie suppressed a little giggle— not at Jackie being left but at the randomness of the boys leaving off. Ramona at least feigned shock but explained further, "The Walter boys sure love to stay on a strict schedule."

"More like Cole's an asshole," Wyatt grumbled taking a drink of her root beer float, the creamy taste from the ice cream settling on her anger just slightly. "Football couldn't have possibly done so much to make him like this."