Twenty-Nine ~ Steve and Bucky

“How long until we get another break?” Clint asked, kicking his legs up onto the chair in front of him.

“It hasn't been long since we last had one,” Bucky told him.

“Yeah but-” Clint started to speak but stopped when Natasha elbowed him.

“Shut up, the next one is starting,” She said as the screen lit up.

Steve and Bucky, looking about fifteen or sixteen, were sitting at the dinner table with Sarah when there was a knock at the door. Sarah frowned and put her knife and fork down.

“I wasn't expecting anyone,” She said, “Carry on eating, I'll be back in a moment.” Sarah got up and left the room.

“Who do you think it is?” Steve asked Bucky.

“The cops,” Bucky said, and Steve raised an eyebrow.

“The cops?” Steve laughed, “Why would they be coming here?”

“For the jam you stole two days ago,” Bucky smirked and Steve's laugh died down slightly.

“Yeah,” Steve rolled his eyes nervously, “That's a joke… right?”

“Oh my god, yes I'm joking,” Bucky sighed, “No one cares if you stole something tiny from a tiny store.”

“Alright, I know,” Steve said, “But seriously. Who is it?”

“How should I know?” Bucky shrugged.

A moment later, Sarah walked back in with a young girl, looking around twenty, with brown hair and a smart dress on. She had pretty blue eyes, red lips set in a thin line, and light freckles scattered across her face.

Bucky stood up when she walked in, shock written on his face.

“Rebecca?” He asked, walking towards her.

“Hi, James,” Rebecca smiled briefly.

Steve frowned. He hadn't heard anyone call Bucky ‘James’ in ages.

“Who is she?” Steve asked.

“Steve, don't be rude,” Sarah told him, “This is Rebecca, Bucky's sister.”

“Oh shit,” Off screen Steve said suddenly, “I know what this is.”

“I do too,” Bucky said quietly.

“Oh wow,” On screen Steve said, shocked, “I forgot you had a sister.”

“Yeah,” Bucky laughed dryly, “I haven't seen her in years.”

“Can we talk in private?” Rebecca asked, keeping her stern expression.

“Yeah, sure,” Bucky stepped away from the table. “Let's go outside.”

Bucky led Rebecca to the small garden at the back of the house. He shut the back door and turned to face her. He opened his mouth to say something, but Rebecca raised her hand and slapped him in the face. Bucky staggered back, stunned, and scowled at her.

“Jeez,” Clint muttered, “She's angry.”

“Yeah,” Tony laughed, “What did you do?”

“What the hell was that for?” Bucky yelled on screen.

“Where were you?” Rebecca shouted at him. “Where the hell were you when he was all on his own?”

“What are you talking about?” Bucky asked.

“Dad! I'm talking about dad,” Rebecca snapped, “You left him on his own at the end!”

“The end of what?” Bucky yelled back, “The month? The year? What?”

Rebecca gasped and her hand flew to her face. She didn't speak for a moment, looking as if she was processing something.

“You don't know?” Rebecca asked him.

“What happened?” Bucky felt the blood drain from his face as he thought of the possible consequences of asking that question.

“Dad got sick,” Rebecca said sadly, “It started about six months ago. He sent me letters. They were nice at first, just checking up on me, asking how I was, which I thought was random but it was nice that he cared. Over time his handwriting got worse and worse, and the letters became shorter and sloppier, until he eventually asked me to come back home. That was about three days ago I got that letter.” Rebecca wiped a lone tear from her cheek and leaned against the wall. “I came here straight here, of course, since dad would never ask me to leave school if it wasn't important. And that's when he told me everything. About how he was sick, and he hadn't been well since mom, and he told me you abandoned him. And then early this morning… he passed.”

“Oh my god,” Natasha said quietly, “Are you ok?”

“Yeah, I'm alright,” Bucky said off screen, an emotionless expression on his face.

On screen, Bucky's head was spinning and he stared at one spot on the ground, willing the world to slow down. His dad was gone, and he hadn't had a nice moment with him in years. Tears pricked Bucky's eyes and he blinked, trying to force them back.

“I didn't abandon him,” Bucky said quietly. “I swear I didn't.”

“Then why did you leave?” Rebecca asked him, “Why do you live here?”

“Because after mom,” Bucky told her, “It was like he never even noticed I was there. He never really did before, but then it was just nothing. So I left to live with people who give a shit about me. If I had known he was like that I would have helped. And you weren't home either.”

“I had to go to school-” Rebecca started, but Bucky interrupted her.

“You didn't have to,” Bucky snapped, “And I'm happy you're following your dreams and stuff, but we weren't exactly fine without you. I needed you, mom needed you, dad needed you and you knew that but you still left. It was selfish.”

“I'm selfish for doing something I want to do?” Rebecca asked.

“Yes!” Bucky shouted back, “But I'm glad it all worked out for you.”

“Do you want me to come back to stay?” Rebecca suggested.

“Too late,” Bucky said, “Thanks for coming to tell me, though.”

“You're welcome,” Rebecca smiled slightly. “Should I leave?”

“Probably,” Bucky nodded.

“Ok,” Rebecca leaned in and hugged Bucky. “Bye, James.”

“Goodbye, Rebecca,” Bucky hugged her back then walked her through the house and out the front door. He walked back to where Steve and Sarah were and was immediately enveloped in a hug from Steve.

“I'm so sorry,” Steve said to him.

Bucky hugged him back, feeling his eyes fill with tears. “Yeah,” was all he could say.

The screen faded to black as everyone watched.

“Buck, are you ok?” Off screen Steve asked, placing a hand on Bucky's shoulder.

“Yeah,” Bucky sighed, “Sure.”

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

Hi, RedCorvette084 here !

Heavy on depression in this one

Thanks for reading, hope you enjoyed it

See you in the next chapter :)

Hey Lulusurfista here

ahhh some good Bucky angst !!

poor Bucky tho, I hope you all liked this chapter and please comment!!