CHAPTER 1 - The Farm

phoebe's pov

present time

ever since the apocalypse happened i have been living back with Maggie and her family.

when i turned nineteen i moved out and got a small house right outside Atlanta i lived there with my now two year old dog archer. when it all started i went straight to the farm because i knew it was the safest place to go.

the apocalypse started about three months ago we have had it easy i must admit we live in a secure area and we barely have any walkers. most of the time i want to kill them but Hershel insists that we keep them in the barn because he thinks that they are just sick people and somehow we can cure them.

i have tried to educate him on how they are no longer people but he was not having any of it. so after that i just left the problem alone

me and Otis go hunting almost every day. most of the time i use the hunting to practise using my bow. dad would always say that he would teach me some day but that obviously didn't happen so i have been teaching myself and i've been getting really good according to Otis.

________

"imma take archer and check out the river there might be some fish today" i said to Otis

"aright you be careful now find me in half an hour okay?" he said as he patted my back.

"will do, come on archer" i called out to the German shepherd while starting to walk away. his ears pricked up and he started to run after me.

Maggie got me archer two years ago because she didn't like that i lived alone and she thought that it would be better for me to have some company. mainly because she thought i was lonely she will never admit it but i know that it's true.

after me and archer made it to the river we didn't find any fish but while we were walking back to find Otis did some squirrels along the way. g

me and archer have been walking around for an hour looking for Otis until we finally found him dragging along a walker that had a pole attached to its neck.

"for god's sake why do you have to do this" i told him, he was obviously started by my  presents  because he let out a little scream which caused me to smile a little bit.

"phoebe you know exactly why we have to do this" "and do you have to always creep up on me like that"  he told me with a stern expression.

"i mean come on there dead, they can't be cured don't tell me you really believe that these things are still human. Its jaw is  hanging off its mouth." i told him

"just drop it okay phoebe?"he told me

"okay fine" i said to him as i whistled out to archer to get him to start walking back to the farm house with me. "i'll see you later Otis" i told him before we got too far away.

__________

when me and archer got back to the farm house we were greeted by Beth "hey phee wheres Otis?"she asked "oh he just found a walker he's putting it in the barn" i said with a sigh

"can i take archer for a walk ive been waiting ages for you to get back and ask you" she told me with an excited look on her face

"oh that would be great thank you Bethy. that will tire him out a little bit" i said giving her a thankful smile.

"okay great come on archer"she said and the two started to walk away

i walked into the kitchen and put the squirrels on the counter so Patricia could find them easily to make dinner.

i then walked in to the living room were Maggie was reading a book, i went over to the sofa she was sitting on and laid down on it and put my head on her lap "you okay hun?" she asked me putting her book on the table next to the sofa.

"i'm just tired" i told her while closing my eyes "want me to read to ya?" she asked while picking up her book again.

i just nodded as she started to read her book out loud and occasionally running her fingers through my tangled hair. while i fall asleep

____________

flashback

"if you were to go and live in any country like anywhere in the world where would it be?" i asked my mother she was running her hand though my hair

"oh i don't know maybe Italy in a small little cottage by the river where we could paint every day together and we could watch the sun set from the porch each night with your father." she told me

"i think that sounds really good" i said while looking up at her.

"yeah i does dosen't it." she said with a smile on her face "hey, how bout' this when you are a bit older than you are now all three of us will do that, moving to Italy has been something that i've always wanted to do"

"i cant wait" i said to her while she smiled down at me and placed a kiss on my forehead.

i woke up and smiled about the dream that i just had and looked behind me to see Maggie fast asleep behind me with a bit of drool hanging down her mouth "Maggie" i whispered and gave her a bit of a nudge.

then she jolted awake "oh did i fall asleep sorry" she said and standing up from the couch "come on lets go see if diner is ready" she told me while walking into the kitchen me following slowly behind her. where we saw Otis and Patrica cooking the squirrels shot this morning she was cooking some vegetables to go with them.

"smells good" Maggie told her "thank you hun" while they were having a conversation i went over to Otis to talk to him about tomorrow.

" hey Otis do u mind if i stay here tomorrow and you go hunting by yourself i'm just a bit tired and i could use a lay in tomorrow" i said to him.

"yeah that's fine as long as i can take archer with me" he said "course you can he loves goin' anyway" i told him with smile.

once dinner we all sat down and ate everyone was having a conversation but me. i never really like talking in big groups of people and even though ive known most of these people for years i still just like being quite.

after dinner we all head up to are separate rooms to fall asleep for the night.