Chapter Thirty

"I'm not selling you."

"I didn't say that," Ara argued. "I said pretend to sell me. Then we can get into that place."

Soren didn't like it. But what was worse was that it was the only idea either of them could come up

with. And even then it was an undetailed mess of an idea. "How? And then what? Even if we get closer and manage to talk to the lads, what comes next?"

Ara huffed and crossed his arms. "I don't know. Maybe if we know what the inside looks like, we can sneak in and break them out. Then... then... steal the pirate ship!"

"Commandeer," Soren corrected without thinking, then gave a start. "What? Steal the ship?"

"They owe you a ship, don't they?"

They did. The pirate ship was ugly compared to the beautiful, sleek Wanderlust. But without her as an option, the pirate ship would be a good option. The Waterborne couldn't transport the whole crew, after all.

"Commandeer the ship." Soren said it slowly, ponderously, and leaned against the wall behind him. "I guess... the legality of the whole thing doesn't matter, given that we're dealing with pirates. We could—it would be risky—but we could take it. Break out the lads, take the ship, and leave." He nodded, letting the idea settle in his thoughts. He had never done anything like it before, but they were out of other options. And when he gave it real thought, the first part of the plan made him more uneasy. "If I pretend to be interested in... selling you, what happens if they aren't interested?"

Ara raised his eyebrows. "In me? The Violet House spent years selling me. People like this, people who buy other people, are always interested in people like me."

Soren glanced over him to eye the crowd. It had dispersed slightly, but there were still a few people up on stage being auctioned away. Less valuable people, it seemed. About ten members of the crew had been paraded across the stage while he and Ara watched, but there had been no sign of Jerios, Jale, Elorie or Tanden. Soren hoped that meant they had been placed on one of the other ships, and maybe were sailing just a few days ahead.

It didn't escape his notice that some people were giving Ara appraising looks. Ara was gorgeous, even with his hair messily braided and without any of his makeup or jewellery. Soren sighed.

"I don't like this. I don't want you to ever have to sell yourself like that again."

Ara's shoulders lifted as he took a deep breath. "I know. I appreciate that. But this is for our men, right? And we're just pretending." He grinned then, but it was his old enticing courtesan smile. Soren realized for the first time how much more natural Ara's expressions had become. He could tell how fake the smile was. "I can flirt without words. They'll want me."

"If any of them touch you, it'll be very hard to not hit them."

The smile softened, became real. "I know."

"All right." Soren pushed himself off of the wall. "Let's get started, then. Waiting around thinking isn't going to make this any easier. Tanden would make this easier," he added, grumbling. "He's good at the rich bastard act."

Ara fell in a step behind Soren. "You can do it. Oh. I can't speak Teltish."

Soren wasn't sure what to make of Ara's final comment, but he couldn't give it too much thought with everything else warring for his attention. When they reached the edge of the stage, where a large guard stood with crossed arms, the only thing Soren could think to say was "Teltish?"

The man gave Soren an appraising glance, then his curious gaze landed on Ara. His eyes lingered longer than Soren was comfortable with, but finally the man called over his shoulder. His gaze didn't waver.