Chapter Thirty-One

The next day carried on like the previous one, moving slowly upriver. The biggest difference in their journey happened on the third day, when they neared the base of a series of waterfalls. They were loud and beautiful, the water crashing down four levels that Tanden could see before tumbling into the lowest level. The boats were paddled to a maintained patch of shoreline, where the plants had been cut away. Everything was unloaded from the boats. The four men slung bags over their shoulders, and even gave both Tanden and Jale something to carry. Then, two of the older men swung the boats above their heads and balanced them on their shoulders.

Tanden watched them, slightly awestruck, as the two men with the boats started climbing up a path that quickly disappeared into the jungle. Then one of the remaining men gave Jale a nudge to get her moving and walked behind her, leaving just Tanden and Kuiavadox near the river's edge.

Kuiavadox held up a rope and gestured for Tanden to raise his hands.

Tanden did so, with a sigh. "This really isn't necessary. I'm not going anywhere."

Kuiavadox flashed him a bemused smile as he tied the rope to Tanden's wrists. Stepping backwards, he gave it a gentle tug while saying something cheerfully.

Tanden took a step forwards. "I get the concept. Let's catch up with Jale, shall we?"

"Jale?" Kuiavadox repeated. Still stepping backwards, he made two quick gestures. The first was the wave his hand at about Jale's height. The second was to cup his hands against his chest.

Tanden groaned, both ashamed and amused by the simplicity of the gestures. "Yes. Jale."

"Jale." Kuiavadox's tone implied that he had solved some great mystery. He then turned and started up the path, leading Tanden along behind him.

Tanden tied to keep to a good pace, but he quickly realized that he was slowing Kuiavadox down. The path was entirely uphill, and the heavy bag slung over his shoulder threw off Tanden's balance. Not to mention his sore feet, which managed to find every sharp pebble or hard bit of root. They quickly caught up with Jale and her minder, but never saw the men with the boats. How could they move so fast with such heavy loads? Tanden couldn't imagine it.

A few times, Kuiavadox and the other man slowed and passed water back and forth. When Kuiavadox offered the water skein to Jale, he said her name with a grin. But the pauses were brief, and then they kept moving. The air was humid and still. Having bound hands caused problems, and eventually the men took pity on Jale and untied her, but left Tanden. He couldn't properly wipe sweat out of his eyes or slap bugs off of his arms, and more than once he almost lost his balance without the ability to catch himself.

Tanden had no way of knowing how long they had been walking, or how far they had gone. But his shoulders ached furiously and his feet were throbbing painfully when he suddenly realized that the jungle was opening up a bit. He could feel a breeze against his damp skin. Then glimpses of blue water between green leaves. And finally, open air as the river appeared up in front of them again.

The two men who had carried the boats were lounging beside the water. Grumpily, Tanden wondered how long they had been waiting, and if they had even considered backtracking to help. His annoyance gave way a moment later, however, when Kuiavadox's father stood and pressed strip of dried meat into his hand. Tanden wasted no time tearing off a piece with his teeth.

The men left Jale and Tanden sitting on a log, a few pieces of dried meat each, while they repacked the boats. Tanden ate his food quickly, hoping for more. Jale savored hers. Tanden was too tired to talk, almost too tired to even think. When it became clear that the men weren't going to offer him any more food, he drew up his right leg and rested his forehead against his knee.