Chapter Twenty

Phoebe only had to wait an hour before two paladins came to escort her. She had asked where Vivienne was; according to them, she was called to help heal some of the sick that came to the Temple for help. While she was a little disheartened that she could speak more with her friend, she knew Vivienne would return. Hopefully sooner than later, so she could share what the Veil Keeper wanted to speak to her about.

She was led directly to the Veil Keeper's private apartment within the Temple. She had been shocked, and tried to argue against it. She was just a common priestess; only important ambassadors, powerful nobles, and members of the royal family ever entered the apartment. Yet, they insisted that the Veil Keeper wanted them to bring her there.

The residence was gorgeous. Clean and pristine, everything seemed to sparkle as light bled through the light curtains. The ceiling was covered in beautiful artwork created centuries ago, the walls decorated in fine carvings and portraits. She felt so out of place in her simple robes; she almost wished she had one of the dozens of gowns she had been wearing in the Underworld.

They soon stopped in front of double doors. One paladin stayed beside her while the other one approached and knocked against the wood.

"Your Holiness?"

There was silence for a few moments. Phoebe wondered if they were even inside or if the paladins had brought her at a bad time. Emergencies popping up wasn't an uncommon occurrence, after all.

But then a muffled, "Bring her in," echoed through the door. The paladin pushed it open and gestured for Phoebe to enter. She hesitated for a minute, but seeing the stern looks cross both paladins' faces, she figured it was best not to waste the Veil Keeper's time. So, taking a deep breath, she entered the room.

It was a simple study. Both walls were covered by large bookshelves. On the wall opposite of the door were two large stained glass windows. In between them was a statue of Seraphine in her traditional pose: her face, covered by a hood, was casted down with her hands held together in prayer against her chest. And just below the statue, sitting at a finely carved wooden desk with a book opened up before them, was the Veil Keeper.

This was only the second time Phoebe had seen them up close before. The only time she had seen them so closely was when she had been received her blessing when she was sixteen. But they were just as attractive as she remembered, perhaps even more now that time had passed. A beautifully sculpted face, glowing dark skin, bright indigo eyes that almost looked purple, long silver hair that was braided back behind them – they honestly looked like they belonged in a painting.

And when their eyes flickered up at her, she felt herself stiffen up as anxiety shot up her spine. Though she managed to keep her face neutral as they turned to the two paladins.

"Thank you," they said, a polite smile adorning their face. "You two may leave."

The paladins both saluted them before leaving the room. Once the doors shut, the Veil Keeper closed the book and turned fully to Phoebe. Their polite smile turned warm, like they were greeting an old friend. It made her skeptical, even leaning back in surprise.

"Come." They held up a hand and beckoned her to sit on the chair across from them. "Have a seat. I'm sure you have questions."

She nodded. As she drew closer to them, her anxiety seemed to get worse. Which only made her confused and frustrated with herself. Yes, she was nervous, but the Veil Keeper was a good person. Everyone she had even known had always sung their praises for their kindness and patience. Yet, no matter what she told herself, she couldn't shake her nerves.

At least she managed to sit down. Sitting up straight, she tried to make herself look as respectful as possible. Even though they were the one to call the meeting, she was still working under them. She had to show proper etiquette.