The Saint

"Looks like it worked." Shuri observed. No longer were they in Chaldea. They were in presumably the French countryside. In the fifteenth century. Here to recover a Holy Grail and correct human history in a different universe.

"Fou! Fou!"

Evidently Fou was more sneaky than Shuri thought. The cute little thing must have snuck into one of the Coffins.

"Master, I have confirmed the axis coordinates. Looks like it's the year 1431. It means we're in the middle of the Hundred Years War. But this should be during rhetorical war's respite period." Mash informed Leon.

"Heads up." Dad noted, gazing skyward. But Shuri's device beeped. A hologram projection of Dr. Roman and Olga appeared.

"Yes! We're connected! Not the best quality, but I've got video feed now too!"

"Hey!" Olga tried to get the party's attention. "What's wrong? What are you looking at?"

"This." Shuri pointed to the object of attention. Their video feed panned to band of light surrounding a dark hole in the sky. Like a black hole was in Earth's atmosphere.

"A ring of light, no. Some form of magecraft cast over the satellite orbit?" Roman speculated. "In any case it's gigantic, maybe the size of North America. Hmmm, no records show such phenomena occurring in 1431."

"Of course not! It's the visual symptom of the anomaly." Olga chided the doctor. Her snappy demeanor suddenly shifted with the next sentence. "We'll analyze it later. I recommend that the priority is to find ley lines, Lord Emiya."

Shuri knew why her mannerisms changed as the conversation ended. With her dad taking her in as a pawn piece, Olga became more subdued. Either way, she and her party had much to do. Explore, make contact with locals, and set up a summoning circle. Come to think of it, how exactly were they going to make contact with locals? She did not speak French or Old English.

"I'll take that recommendation in mind, and we'll start by finding a nearby settlement." Dad said. "Good chance for a leyline close by."

So Shuri, her dad, Leon, Rose, Mash and Fou set off along the nearby road. Not long into this walk did everyone spot people coming up.

"Heads up." Shuri pointed them out.

"Confirming. Looks like a French scout brigade. Should we make contact Master?" Mash queried to Leon. Shuri's brother glanced to their chaperone. He tilted his head.

"Go ahead Mash." Leon said. The Demi Servant took the lead, approaching the French. Did Mash speak French?

"Hello, excuse me. We are travelers-"

Mash was cut off as the leader of this group finally noticed the girl in front of him. His eyes fell on everyone else including Shuri. Fou made a few noises, but silence permeates until-

"Eek! Enemy attack! Enemy attack!"

Shuri blinked. A French soldier speaking modern English? Evidently everyone else too were bewildered for they stood there as the soldiers surrounded them.

"Don't look at me. I didn't show my ears." Leon said defensively.

"Hey, we're free here so lemme see how you're." Roman's voice chimed in, only to stop short. "Wait, why are you surrounded by an armed group?"

"I'm sorry. I should've greeted them in French." Mash apologized. Ohhhhh. Right. The Hundred Years War was between England and France. So when Mash spoke English, they thought of the party as enemy combatants.

"Any chance you can think of some diplomacy Doctor?" Rose asked.

"Hell if I know. Maybe a knock knock joke?" Roman offered.