CHAPTER 5, letters & gifts

The Christmas break had arrived, blanketing Hogwarts in a layer of snow, and the castle was adorned with festive decorations. The Great Hall sparkled with enchanted lights, and students prepared to leave for their holiday destinations. The Hogwarts Express chugged through the snowy landscape, carrying students from to the magical castle for Christmas break. Jasmine, seated with Lily in a compartment, gazed out of the window at the winter wonderland passing by.

Lily, noticing her sister's distant expression, nudged her. "What's on your mind, Jas?"

Jasmine sighed, a faint smile on her lips. "Just thinking about the holidays. It is nice to spend time with family and friends."

Lily raised an eyebrow. "Family? You mean, Petunia?"

Jasmine nodded. "Yeah, even Petunia. There could be moments when it can feel like old times, and then I wouldn't want reality to kick in."

.•°¤*(¯'★'¯)*¤° ------ °¤*(¯'★'¯)*¤°•.

In a secluded corner of the Hogwarts Express, Petunia sat with a stern expression, a letter clutched tightly in her hand. The twins, Lily and Jasmine, approached cautiously, aware of the tension that often surrounded Petunia.

Petunia's eyes narrowed as she spoke, her tone cold, "Mom and dad are still in work. Lily, Jasmine, you've become a disgrace to the Evans name. Mixing with those freaks at Hogwarts, especially after that incident with your letters."

Lily sighed, "Petunia, it's Christmas. Can't we just go home and have a peaceful break?"

Jasmine, ever fiery, shot back, "And what's wrong with our friends, Petunia? They're not 'freaks,' as you call them. They're magical, and they're family."

Petunia scoffed, "Family? Those people will never be your family. You're wasting your life with them. I can hear Mum and Dad talk about you sometimes. They're disappointed in both of you."

Lily frowned, not believing her older sister for a minute, "Really, what do they say?"

Petunia smirked, "They're questioning why you two haven't followed in my footsteps. Perhaps they're considering disowning you."

Jasmine's eyes flashed with anger, but she held her tongue, not wanting to escalate the situation further. The twins exchanged a glance, silently agreeing to let Petunia's lying words slide and enjoy what was left of their Christmas break.

.•°¤*(¯'★'¯)*¤° ------ °¤*(¯'★'¯)*¤°•.

As Christmas unfolded, Jasmine received letters from her friends. She pulled out a bundle of letters, each tied with a different coloured ribbon. Lily, ever curious, leaned in.

"Who are those from?"

Jasmine grinned. "My holiday correspondents. Let's see what everyone has been up to."

Alice wrote about her magical experiments, James ranted about his mother's cooking and how she should try it, Marlene shared tales of family gatherings, Remus asked her to meet up in a muggle library, and Mary rambled about her fascination with magical creatures. However, there was a noticeable absence in Jasmine's stack of letters – no word from Sirius or Regulus.

She shook off the disappointment, convincing herself that family matters might be keeping them occupied. Their mother was ruthless, probably keeping them locked in their rooms like damsels in distress. Nevertheless, she found comfort in the letters she did receive and shared the news with Lily. She opened the first one.