21.

iFAIRYTALE KaMAGEZA

𝐢𝐧𝐬𝐞𝐫𝐭 21

DONOVAN

The car is filled with laughter. Celiwe has to be the craziest woman he has ever met. She's funny and her English makes everything hilarious. His stomach hurts from laughing.

He took her and Nhloso out as he promised and then they spent the rest of the day at uShaka Marine World. They had so much fun, the best he's had in a very long time. He feeling lighter ...and happy. His life has been filled with misery for a while now.

All he's been doing is trying to be the perfect son to his father. In the process of all that he lost himself. He did a lot of dump shĩt too "What is in your head?" Celiwe asks bringing him out of his thoughts. Nhloso has fallen asleep at the backseat. He was running around the whole day.

"Just thinking about my shîtty life" he says keeping his eyes on the road.

"Why?" he gives her a brief look, how does he answer that question.

"Because I regret everything I did"

"Is that make you happy or sad?"

"Sad"

"Then you shouldn't think it. I don't think it too, I forget it and move forward" he sighs, she's right. It's no use thinking about the things he can't change.

All he wants now is a fresh start, a new purpose in life. He wants to live for him and not for anyone else. It took him almost losing his life to realise that.

"Thank you" he says when he finally parks the car in front of her house. Today was amazing, he would love to do it again. He never thought something as small as this would fulfill him.

"Thank you too" she says with a warm smile. She's beautiful.

"I'll help you take him to bed" he says stepping out of the car. Celiwe is already out before he can open the door for her. He picks Nhloso and they walk into the house. A small two room. It neat and clean.

He lays him on the bed. Celiwe takes off his shoes and pulls a blanket over him.

"Well, I have to go now" he says and  Celiwe turns to him.

"It's not safety driving in the darkness" he chuckles.

"I'll be fine"

"No, go in the morning" where is he going to sleep? There's only one bed and there's 3 of them.

"Ok" he's no stranger to sleeping on the floor. That cold room gave him some life experiences he won't forget.

*
*
*

[NARRATIVE]

It's early in the morning and Gogo is already up preparing to leave. She doesn't want to arrive ngomnyama emzini yabantu. She has called to let her sister Coshiwe know she will be arriving today.

Mahlathini may not see the good of what she's doing but he will thank her very soon. This is not only for him, it's for the dignity of the family. Her son is gone, her husband too, everything rests in her hands now and she will do things the right way. OJama need a real woman who will revive and grow their surname. And that woman is not a white woman who knows nothing about the Zulu culture.

A car parks outside bringing her out of her thoughts. It's Mahlathini. He's right on time.

Thando runs to him as soon as he walks in "Gogo and I are leaving" she says to her Dad who frowns. He sits down with Thando still in his arms.

"Thando is right, siyahamba" Nomeva says also settling down.

"Niyaphi?"

"I have to go and look for a wife you will marry, umfazi okufanele since you've failed to do it" She speaks sternly.

"Did you talk to me about it?" why are you deciding things for me?"

"Because you're not in your right minds to make any right decision Mahlathini, lomfazi womlungu uyakuhlanyisa"  now he's pissed.

He stands up "If you bring that girl here, it will be the last you see of me. I'm going to leave with Thando, and you will never see us again"

"Ihheeeh! wahleka mfazi kaGijegije. This is what I'm talking about, you've lost your mind. She has gotten into your head

"You're the one crazy here, this is my life and I will marry Connie either you like it or not" he says and picks up Thandolwami "And you're not taking my daughter anywhere" they walk out.

Nomeva is left in disbelief. Mahlathini has lost respect, he has never talked to her like that. The boy needs help and very quick. He's losing himself.

She takes out her phone to call uSkebhe. He's the only one who can remove the mist in Mahlathini's eyes.

"You will have to tell the boy to come  to me" Skebhe says over the phone.

"Are you also crazy? you know very well he will not agree" she says irritated.

"There's no other way I can do this I-" Nomeva drops the call. He's good for nothing. She will have to find another way. There has to be another way.