58.

iFAIRYTALE KaMAGEZA

𝐢𝐧𝐬𝐞𝐫𝐭 58

[NARRATIVE]

Mahlathini is at the rank. He's sitting with Hloma and some of the taxi drivers feasting on inhloko. It's month end and this is how he spoils them for their hard work. They've really pulled up their socks since Hloma came. Umsebenzi uyabonakala. He's almost making double of what he was making before. With this rate, he might get 5 more taxi by the end of this year.

"Kunenkulumo that has been roaming around Jama, I ignored it at first but it's getting serious and nothing good is being said" Hloma says cutting the meat into small peaces.

"It's about me?" Mahlathini asks opening the two litre of coca cola and pouring it into a glass.

"Yebo, it's about you and it's coming from the other owners. It's about the salary you're paying your drives. They say you're making them look bad for what they are paying their drivers" Mahlathini chuckles.

"That's ridiculous. I pay my drivers what they are worth. These boys work very hard, they deserve it"

"And it doesn't stop there. You're starting to become a threat to most of the owners. The boys are working extra hard and you keep bringing in more taxis, soon you'll be taking over Stanger and the whole of iTheku. You should consider getting yourself security" Mahlathini shakes his head in disagreement.

"I'm not pressing anyone down. I'm just growing my business, there's no need for anyone to be threatened"

"You're being ignorant. I've been in this industry before you were born my boy. This is the time where you should ensure Connie and the kids are safe 24/7. An enemy doesn't announce when they decide to strike and they usually strike when you're not looking" Mahlathini sighs

"I hear you Ndwandwe. I'll think about it" Mahlathini says assuringly.

They finish eating. He bids his goodbyes and drives home.

Connie is in the kitchen cooking while talking to someone on the phone. He waits for her to end the call before going over to her.

"It's Thando's new School. They have a school Bus that comes get them every morning and bring them back after school. Our Job is to take her to the Station every morning and pick her in the afternoon. Now I feel like we should get an extra car and hire someone to do all of that. I can also use a Nanny and a Maid around here" Mahlathini smiles before pecking her lips.

"Noted" she smiles wrapping her arms around his back "...I also have an addiction" he says tucking her hair behind her ear. He spent the whole drive here thinking about what Hloma said, the man has a valid point "Security is needed" Connie frowns.

"Are we in danger?"

"No. I want to be sure you and the kids are safe even when I'm not around" She stares at him. She doesn't like what she's hearing.

She breaks out of his hold and returns to her cooking.

"Have you thought about Nobuhle's request?"

"You're changing the subject"

"I've talked about this enough. You know how I feel so there's nothing I can say, do what you feel is necessary"

"I don't like that Connie" She lowers the heat on the stove and turns to face him.

"You expect me to be okay with the fact that we might be in danger?"

"Did I say we're in danger?" his tone is stern, Connie remains silent.

She has read so many articles about taxi owners being gunned down. This is where all of this is going and Jackson doesn't care. He's being very selfish. Everyday he leaves the house she worries about him. She's really trying to be supportive but it's very hard.