22

Abigale was running through the grass, her father's words stuck in her ears like wax. You still have my blood, however dirty it may be. Fucking prick. That's all he was. A gnat who decided to poison her surety whenever she dared to imagine...

"Doesn't matter," Abi grumbled, kicking the dirt with the tip of her shoe. "He's nothing."

Still, the ache in her chest didn't fade as she kept trudging back home. The witch paid no heed, her mind now fixed on the cauldron of Serpent-spit sitting in the middle of her cottage. It was high time she paid Telemachus what she owed - cowards like him were unpredictable. She was already on Bruce's last straw.

"They're a bunch of cockheads," Abigale snarled to the warm wind, eyes alight with fury. Part of her expected Lejla to appear from the shadows, tell her everything would work out. A child's foolishness. As per usual. How bloody embarrassing.

"Arrghh!!"

Abi froze as a scream echoed through the trees. She threw herself to the ground, hair static on the nape of her neck. Sparrows fluttered a little from their high perches. Wood mice rustled in the dry foliage. And the throaty voices of the villagers came from downward. More wannabe heroes? Abigale creased her brow, crawled slowly across the ground. She needed to get away from the trees, the wispy grass.

She couldn't help but hope for danger; anything that gave her an opportunity to rid herself of the village pests. No hexes this time - Bruce will recognise it. Maybe even Jason if his brain turns on.

The witch gradually propped herself up as the last tree slipped behind her and the view opened from the village to the southern beach. Her face scrunched.

No men clad in armour ran along the sands. No shouts came; well, none of fear. It looked like half the Callkai had abandoned the town to the tiny stretch of beach. Abigale cocked her head. Odd.

She scanned the sand once more, before slowly rising to her feet. That's when she saw it - a ship. Abigale drew in a sharp breath, green eyes narrowed. Her head snapped back to where the villagers stood bewildered, all shouting to one another. What in Llyr's name is happening?

The witch had a clear view from the walking trail. The land a few paces ahead of her went from flat to a gentle incline that met the southern beach of Callkis. Glistening rock shining with seawater poked out from the crashing surf below, salt caking the nearby shrubs. Basically the worst place for a safe landing.

However she saw no rowboat bobbing on the waves, no shouting buccaneers waving serrated stolen blades, no flag for aid. Nothing at all.

"What are they doing? The ship can't be empty," Abi whispered to herself, a sick feeling spreading through her stomach.

Look closer. Lejla's voice sent a shudder down her back. Abigale ventured further down the slope, eyes fixed on the churning sea. Surely there wasn't much to see? The surf was rough, dominating. Why...

Oh.

A hand. A hand emerged from beneath the blue, waving frantically. A fucking hand. Abigale gasped, scrambled down some more.

A voice. From the ship. The witch's eyes flew to the starboard where a young woman clung to the rail, hair whipping in the wind. She looked frightened. The voice snagged on the air.

"Sirce!"

Abigale swallowed. The hand - someone had fallen overboard. From the way the girl on the ship was shrieking, it was someone important.

"Oh gods."

Help them, child.

Abigale sprinted through the prickly grass, sand flying over her skin. Her chiton blew against her, the heat seeped into the back of her neck.

Her breath came in heaving pants as she skidded across the uneven soil and plunged into the crowd of Callkai. Every finger was pointed at the flailing person, every voice lifted the message of surprise, fear, even relief.

Abigale shoved through the massed people, eyes wide with dread. All these people here as witness, yet doing nothing. Her throat squeezed as she pushed people aside, eyes burning in the glare of the sunny waters.

She gagged at the scent of sweat hanging between the gathered people, blanched at the sickly perfume radiating from the rich folk. Wealthy pricks.

Her eyes brimmed with tears as the heat dried them out and hit them with sea spray. Her mouth let out a loud gasp as she finally made it to the front of the crowd and stumbled to where the foam of the waves kissed the shore.

She gazed about desperately, baffled by the idleness.

At the head stood Bruce and Jason, brows furrowed as they gazed at the person struggling against the tides. Abigale stomped to their side, teeth bared.

"The consensus is we leave them," Bruce grunted.

"It could be anyone! The gods test us in many ways, Bruce." Jason crossed his arms, hair whipping about his face.

"Yes, anyone. An enemy - why else would they venture here? We are no one, unless they know of the - "

"While you are squabbling, a person is caught in that surf."

The men turned, eyes wide with surprise. Abi planted her hands on her hips, eyes flashing. There would be no innocent act. There was no need; how could they condemn her?

Bruce chuckled darkly, lip curled as he spat, "That is none of your concern, you bitch."

"I am Callkis-born. We are in Callkis. It is as much my concern as yours."

Bruce huffed, but Jason offered a strange side smile. "Well what is your solution, then?"

Abigale hesitated. On any other day she wouldn't have bothered to even come down to the beach. She had enough worries to deal with. She would convince herself fate would take its course. The will of the gods would prevail. A lowly witch was not here to be a hero, someone good or righteous. Her life so far had made that unkindly clear.

Please Abigale. Trust me once more.

The goddess's voice was cool and stilled her racing mind. Besides, she was not doing this to be a saviour, some goody-two-shoes with a heart of gold. She was doing it because Lejla Hex had advised her. The great goddess had not lead her astray yet.

She wet her lips and said, "We retrieve them before they perish. This person is in Callkis. By holy law they are a guest now. Do you really wish to risk the wrath of Xenia?"

Bruce snickered, eyes darkening. "Of course. How could I have forgotten?"

Abi didn't answer, a deep panic settling in her bones. Her uncle grinned and grabbed her wrist. "Bruce-"

Jason went to say something but the older man shoved him aside and dragged the girl before the crowd, face lit with glee. Great. Shit's about to go down.

Abi tried to maintain her composure as the eyes for the second time that day fell on her. She could feel their judgement, their repulsion as Bruce pushed her forward, feet slipping on the sand.

No one seemed to notice that the girl on the boat was crying out for help.

"Fate is fate!" Bruce shouted, hands clamping down on his niece's shoulders. "Today, this woman reminded me of a holy rule; one we must not ignore."

Abigale closed her eyes, ears popping. Oh gods, he's going to say it. That motherfucker-

"Guest friendship." Bruce paused. Silence. Total silence. "By the laws of the gods, those people out there...well, I'm afraid that they are considered guests. Our ancestors would honour that rite. And so shall I."

Abigale's legs began to tremor, her eyes slowly opened, fixed on her feet as someone cried, "That is all well and good, but how do you plan on abiding by those laws?"

Bruce gave a hearty laugh and pat her hard on the back. "Abigale has volunteered to brave the sea and fetch our guest!"