𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟒

-𝐀𝐃𝐄𝐋𝐀𝐈𝐃𝐄-𝐈𝐒𝐀𝐃𝐎𝐑𝐀-

I staid in the office for a while longer after ending my call with Theo. I had to let it sink in. I didn't cry. I never cry. I think I was only a little child when I last cried. I always knew exactly how to compose myself. I took a deep sigh and put myself together before leaving the office. I closed the door behind me gently and turned around to be faced with a stern look of my mother.

"Mother..."

"Adelaide-Isadora..."

She never called me nicknames... only dear but I don't think that counts as a nickname.

"What were you doing in there?"

"Taking a work call from mister Todd."

"When are you gonna let that whole work thing loose Adelaide-Isadora. It's not useful when you'll become a house wife. Men don't like girls who argue and think they know everything better."

"They do actually."

I looked behind my mother to see George. His frame hanging against the wall nonchalantly. His hands in his pockets.

"Pardon me? Why would you listen to a private conversation."

"I wasn't intending to Odette. Frank advised me to look in the office for Adelaide-Isadora."

"Why would you be searching for her?"

"Because I previously asked her to be my lawyer. I wanted to circle back to her about the subject."

My mother looked at him with disgust.

"You know there are many men who could defend you better than she could ever do."

"Mother... don't make a scene."

"Adelaide-Isadora. Don't talk to me in that way! I did not raise you to be that way."

"No because dad raised me the way he wanted me to be not the way you want me to be."

"I beg your pardon?!"

"You heard me very clear mother. I am not the problem here. You are and you always have been. In this century it's normal for a woman in a high position. You need to accept that. George... you can come into my father's office and we could go over your questions."

I reopened the door and left my mother outside. Her face was red of anger and it was clear she was fuming. Steam could come out of her ears but luckily it didn't. I closed the door and pointed George to sit in one of the chairs opposite of the big chair. I sat down in my father his big office chair and looked into George his eyes.

"You are gorgeous."

I raised my eyebrows in shock and looked at him. I didn't expect him to compliment me.

"Don't act like you haven't heard that before."

"I uhm... I haven't. I don't get compliments from anyone expect my father."

I suddenly felt a little shy. I looked down at the desk as I felt a few strands of my hair slip from behind my ear. George reached over the desk and placed them back behind my ear.