Chapter 5

Modus goes completely pale as soon as he hears this, staring right at the screen, the tape keeps playing.

“Yes, this is Modus right here.” The man on the tape says. “He is my first successful experiment in this program, and hopefully wont be the only one.”

The little boy sits and plays with a few wooden blocks in front of him.

“As you can see, he is still a child, and thus needs company and attention. Unfortunately, I am a very busy man, and won’t be able to provide that for him, so of course, I will need to develop a friend for him.” The man says, walking out of the room.

About two minutes later the man returns with another small child.

“This is Reagan, my most recent creation, she is still in her comatose state.” He says, then looks over at the boy.

“Modus, may you leave the room for a moment? Go see Amber, okay?” He says t the boy.

“Okay!” The boy says, walking out of the room.

The man waits for a bit, then looks back at the camera.

“Now to the problem with my creations.” The man says. “There is no guarantee that they will ever leave to comatose state and wake up. If one doesn’t awake for 9 months, they are considered in a complete coma. If they dont wake for 18 months, they are considered dead and a failed experiment, I loathe when I must consider something that was meant to be a living being dead. Hopefully this doesn't happen to her, she's special.”

The man sits silently for about a minute, before getting up.

“End tape.” He says before the tape ends.

Modus stares at the black screen, eyes wide open. He looks at Barlon, who is still unconscious.

“B-...Barlon? Wake up…”