FLYING CARS INTO TREES

With bated breath, Harry and Ron obediently followed Snape, their eyes fixed on the ground, afraid to exchange even a fleeting glance. The resounding echoes reverberated through the vast entrance hall, amplifying their apprehension. From the Great Hall, a mouthwatering scent of food permeated the atmosphere, tempting their senses. 

Yet, Snape diverted their attention from the comforting warmth and luminosity, guiding them instead down a narrow, winding stone staircase that descended into the depths of the dungeon.

"In!" Snape commanded, swinging open a door positioned halfway along the icy corridor and indicating for them to proceed. They reluctantly stepped into Snape's office, feeling a chill creep up their spines. 

The walls, shrouded in darkness, were adorned with shelves that displayed an array of large glass jars. These containers housed a multitude of grotesque items, the names of which Harry had no interest in discovering at that precise moment. The fireplace, void of any warmth or illumination, stood silently in the room. 

With a decisive action, Snape firmly closed the door and shifted his attention to the duo before him. In a soft-spoken manner, he remarked, "Ah, it appears that the esteemed Harry Potter and his faithful accomplice Weasley found the train to be lacking in grandeur. Were you both seeking a more extravagant arrival, perhaps?"

"No, sir, it was the barrier at King's Cross, it-" 

"Silence!" Snape snapped, his tone dripping with coldness. "What have you done with the car?" 

Ron's heart skipped a beat, and a sense of dread washed over him. Snape's ability to seemingly read minds was not a new phenomenon for Harry. It had happened before, leaving him with an eerie feeling that Snape could delve into his thoughts. However, in a sudden twist of events, Harry's confusion was replaced by understanding as Snape unraveled the latest edition of the Evening Prophet.

"You were seen," Snape hissed, showing them the headline:

FLYING FORD ANGLIA MYSTIFIES MUGGLES. 

Snape began to read aloud: 

"Two Muggles in London, convinced they saw an old car flying over the Post Office tower... at noon in Norfolk, Mrs. Hetty Bayliss while hanging out her clothes... Mr. Angus Fleet, of Peebles, reported to police... Six or seven Muggles in all. I believe your father works in the Misuse of Muggle Artifacts Office?" 

he said, looking up at Ron and smiling still more nastily. "Dear, dear... his own son..."  

The realization hit Harry like a ton of bricks, causing his stomach to churn with anxiety. The thought hadn't even crossed his mind until now, but if anyone were to discover that Mr. Weasley had enchanted the car... the consequences would be dire.

"I noticed, in my search of the park, that considerable damage seems to have been done to a very valuable Whomping Willow," Snape went on. 

Ron attempted to voice his grievances, "We suffered greater damage from that tree than we-" 

"Silence!" Snape's voice snapped sharply once again. "Most, unfortunately, you are not in my house and the decision to expel you does not rest with me. I shall go and fetch the people who do have that happy power. You will wait here."

Harry and Ron exchanged a profound gaze, their faces drained of color. The pangs of hunger that had once plagued Harry's stomach were now replaced by an overwhelming sense of nausea. He averted his gaze from the sight of a large, slimy entity floating in a jar filled with green liquid on a shelf positioned behind Snape's desk.