Another Hard Day

Bibi POV
It was another hard day in Retropolis. Someone had attempted to rob me, but I killed him with my bat. This is what happens in a world where you can infinitely respawn. People aren't scared of death. Because why be scared if you can always come back?

Actually, it wasn't true that you could always infinitely respawn. Twenty-six years ago, there was one month for which the respawn system broke down. And that happened to be when I was just born. When I was a week old, my mother went missing. And she never came back. Everyone said she was dead, but I refused to believe them. The police have been trying to find out how for years, but no one can help me.

Especially since my dad also left when I was five. He had to serve in another country. He's been gone for nearly twenty-two years, and I don't know whether he's still alive. But frankly, I don't care.

What kind of parent just abandons his child without giving up a fight? I may be self-sufficient now, but he left when I was five. I was an orphan. I was young and naive, not knowing how to protect myself.

That was when I found my one and only companion. Mr. Bat. In the attic, my mom had left this special baseball bat, that I had never seen before, for me. With it was the note, Dear Bibi, you are just a day old, and you don't know about the big conspiracies of the world yet. I know my end may be coming soon, so I need to write this letter for you. If you're reading this, both your mother and father must be gone. I asked your dad to take the best care of you, but Bull can never get away from his military duties. So I hope and pray this will never be found, but just in case, I have left this special bat for you. It will protect you from the dangers of our world. Hopefully one day you will get out of this hellhole.

I had promised myself never to leave until I avenged my mother.

I am also leaving this magical bubblegum. In case you are too young to go on the street, this bubblegum will give you all the nutrients that you need to keep surviving. My dear Bibi, if you are reading this letter, know that Mom will always be beside you.