Chapter Two

Chapter Two

Charlotte Morgan

I sighed. I just finished cleaning the entire kitchen, and Bradley Parker and his friends had to come home the exact moment I did. And they had to pass through the backdoor, and yes, of course, onto the kitchen, bringing the mud from their feet onto the crystal clear floor I just scrubbed for an hour.

Of course, they didn’t acknowledge me as they passed by. It was as if I was invisible. Literally invisible. I was quite fine with that, I didn’t like attention. But one thing I didn’t like: was how I was the invisible loser, and yet I was the one in charge for their stupid untidiness. But sadly, it was how things were. I couldn’t change it. The world turns. That’s life. I have accepted it with all its unfortunate spits on me. I was the omega. Someone of zero worth.

“Charlotte! I told you to clean this! And I told you four hours ago, didn’t I?” Mrs. Bentley growled at me. I flinched at her tone, hugging the wood of my mop for comfort. Inanimate objects appeared to be the only ones I can reach out to.

“I—I did—“ I started,

“Do not lie to me!”

I flinched once more. I hated it when people raised their voices. Loud voices were not consoling in any means. And even though people raised their voice on me most of the time, I still couldn’t stop myself from cringing. It was something I was used to, but not something I was immune to.

Mrs. Bentley was the woman who—even though was not that gentle—she still had me in the pack house, despite me not being blood-related to her or any of her family. And in spite of her harsh treatment, I still appreciated her for at least providing me of a shelter. She was the one who took care of me, not in the physical manner, but in matters of papers. She got the beta of this semi-territory to accept me into the pack house. No one except her stood up and claimed me to be adopted during that unscrupulous ceremony when I was a toddler, when I was acknowledged as an undomesticated child rogue.

At the age of four, my memory had already been tainted with disgusted looks and horror-stricken werewolf faces.

Mrs. Bentley growled in frustration, she placed her hands on both sides of her hips, giving me the impression that she was not pleased with me. She glared at me, pointed a finger, and snarled. “Clean this up. The Great Alpha and his peers are coming and we do not know the exact date. I want this place to be presentable if ever he decides to have some little speculation around.”

I nodded and looked down at my pale toes. I was barefoot. I always was. “Ye—yes Mrs. Bentley.”

She sneered and walked away, probably going upstairs to scold those noisy little children playing fetch. Mrs. Bentley hated kids who couldn’t understand how fetch was supposed to be played outdoors. I sighed, and started mopping the floor again. At least the mud this time was easy to be removed.

“Look at the omega, pathetic.” A whisper passed through my sensitive ears, and I immediately knew it was from the girl standing by the main door with her friends, who were peeking around the kitchen to be able to spot me. It was Carol Snow: daughter of the beta of our pack, the Robust Moon Pack, Paul Snow. I was no match to her, and so I didn’t hesitate in ignoring her hostile words which were indirectly directed to me.

I heard her friends snicker and make fun of me. I looked down, making my hair cover my hurt-filled eyes. I didn’t want them to know how much their words affected me.

But that couldn’t be avoided, for Carol and her group had made their way to the kitchen, to me. I blinked a couple of times before trying to find my way to the backdoor. I would get a scolding from Mrs. Bentley for not cleaning the floor like I was ordered to, but I’d rather face her wrath than face four sinewy werewolf juveniles whose got their way with confrontations.