Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

Charlotte Morgan

“You’ve… never… tried a—a pizza?!” Chris looked at me horrified, I suddenly felt like I was no better than any murderer out there. He made it seem like not having pizza was the craziest thing a person could ever do in their lifetime.

I gaped. “Is it really that delicious? I used to think it was just bread with pineapples on it.” I fidgeted, feeling so, uncivilized.

He stared at me with a mouth hanging open, as if he saw a ghost. He shook his head on me, giving me a pitiful look. A minute later, he shook his head again, now giving me a stare that contained the spirit of determination. I didn’t have an idea to what Chris might be thinking about or planning in his head. It made me nervous, and I began thinking about the whereabouts of Ryan. I glanced at the clock on the wall behind Chris.

“It’s nearly one in the morning. Is this normal for him to not be back yet?” I asked him quietly, suddenly aware of the time made me want to keep my voice down, as if the night was something so soft. My heart’s beats were becoming more frantic as my thoughts were swarmed by Ryan.

“Don’t worry. Some nights he comes home late. He being Alpha and all sometimes clogs his free time.”

I nodded, reminding myself that this sometimes happens.

“So about that pizza—“

“Charlotte!”

“Hey man, you won’t believe what I’m about to tell you about Charlotte.” Chris grinned.

I felt tingles as I heard his voice calling out my name. I stood up from the sofa, ready to give him a hug. But as I turned to give him one, what I saw brought a blur in my eyes. I wanted to cry.

Ryan was badly beaten. I covered my wide open mouth with shaking hands. His cheeks had cuts in them, his shirt having slits, and behind them were bruises and bleeding wounds. His eyes were tired, and his mouth was set in a thin line. My vision started to cloud up. My chest tightened.

“What happened, Ryan?” Chris asked: his joking demeanor curtly vanished from the room. The air was now filled with questions and blood.

“Serge.” He spat out, blood coming from lips. He swayed, and Chris was beside him in a blink of an eye. He led him upstairs, his shoulders supporting Ryan’s weight. The Alpha leaned on him, asking him to bring him to his room. Chris nodded briefly.

I tugged all of my baby-ness deep inside, knowing that I had to start acting mature, Ryan was badly hurt, and help was what he needed. I followed them up the stairs, seeing this part of the house for the first time. But I couldn’t focus about that right now, my hysterical breathing was all for Ryan. I was more than worried. I was surprised my feet were actually moving.

Chris entered a large room. It was a massive, master bedroom. It was beautiful. The windows were huge, and it illuminated the light from the outside pretty nicely. Chris carefully guided Ryan into his bed, and I ran to help him, making sure he hit the mattress gently. Ryan coughed, and I had to stop myself from whimpering at the sound. Chris proceeded to remove Ryan’s shirt, he ripped the thing out.

“Shit, man, what happened?” Chris muttered, running his hand along his black hair, pacing back and forth in the space beside his bed. I sucked in a breath, finding myself a foot away from Ryan. I blinked a couple of times. His wounds were so… deep.

It reminded me of the times I was beaten. And I knew for a fact that getting beat up wasn’t a fun experience. It was an experience no one should ever go through. Getting hit was not acceptable. Getting hit to be disciplined… flashes flew by my mind. My mind was working itself like a projector. Who would beat up their Alpha? How can people be so cruel? So… disrespectful?