Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

Ryan Walker

"Alpha!" A voice in my head called in.

"Yes, Zach?" I replied mentally, taking a sip of my coffee. It was still early in the morning. The sun was not even up yet. Charlotte was still fast asleep. And even though I wanted to stay with her until she woke up, I couldn't. I had let Serge get away, it was my responsibilty to bring him down. As soon as possible.

"I have some very, very bad news." My jaw clenched. "Go on."

"A pack member passed away last night. It was murder." I felt anger cursing through my body. I closed my eyes, breathing hard. If Serge did this, he moved fast.

"Give me details." I commanded. 

"Her name's Lauren Brooke." The air in my lungs got sucked in when I heard a woman's name. "She was from the east. Her heart was ripped out of her chest, and her body had bites all over. She was twenty-eight. Mated. I hear her mate's going crazywhich is adding a lot to our problem. He's determined to find the one who killed his mate. His addicted to his rage." I rubbed the bridge of my nose. Fuck. This was a nasty kill. What has gotten into Serge's head? I didn't know he was messed up. Hell, he was one of my best fighters.

"Do they have kids?" I asked. "Yes. An only child. She's five years old." I gritted my teeth. This was a disaster. If the news spread out, everyone's going to panic. Everyone's going to doubt me and my power. Me and my ability to keep them secure.

"Make sure she's safe, and make sure he doesn't do anything reckless. We don't know who we're dealing with yet. Where are you?" 

"In the pack house."

"Wait there. I'm coming."

I made my way back to my room upstairs, sighing when I saw my mate sprawled on the bed. This was a disaster. Serge was causing trouble in the most unconvenient time. I had to figure out how to return my wolf back in me, it was not easy, and Serge was making it harder.

Sitting in an empty space beside Charlie, I ran my fingers through her cheeks. Having a mate didn't really cross my mind throughout the years. I saw my men get wrapped around their mates' fingers, and I saw how happy they were. But no matter how refreshing they made it seem to be when your mate was right beside you, I wasn't yearning for one. I thought I was content with leading packs and barking out orders. I had thought that was enough. I was a fucking idiot.

It wasn't. Looking at Charlie right now, my heart has never felt so much affection for one person. I know that sounds fucking sappy, but I cannot lie.

Her eyes slowly fluttered at my touch, and a tiny smile tugged at the corner of my lips. "Good morning, sweetheart." I said, my voice husky in the morning light.

Her grey eyes scanned the room for a second before landing on mine. And then a blush warmed her cheeks. I smirked, and then decided to lie down next to her, burying my face into her hair. I loved the feel of it. "How was your sleep?" I asked.

"How are your wounds?" She said, answering my question with her own.

"They're not bad. Martha's work last night." She stared at my body, checking for the truth out of concern, and the way her eyes were scanning my figure was igniting something inside me. I craved her. And not just for sex, I craved her. Her entirety. Her—inside and out. Her laughs and her sweet vanilla and cinnamon scent. Her thoughts, her smile, her words and her days.