prologue | 𝘄𝗶𝘇𝗮𝗿𝗱'𝘀 𝗰𝗵𝗲𝘀𝘀

"Knight to D3

"Knight to D3." I said, letting out a snort of laughter as the small wooden horse moved in it's characteristic L-shape, the figure atop it knocking over the boy's white queen.

"For fucks sake Deidre." Cedric muttered to himself as he sat across me.

A chess set was laid out on the kitchen table of the Diggory's house (as Amos had deemed it the only safe space for Deidre and Cedric to play ever since the table-flip of 87'). The cottage-like windows open and their floral-patterned curtains billowing peacefully from the calm breeze of the early morning.

"Checkmate" I smiled widely at him, it growing impossibly bigger once he knocked over his own king in defeat.

"This is only because it's your birthday yknow?" He said to me but I could see a sly smile spreading across his face as we stood up to pack the chess set away.

"Ced, my birthday isn't for like 3 days." I raised a brow at him as he bent down to store the chess-set away in one of the cupboards.

"Yeah but we're not going to be playing chess at the cup are we?"

"Fair enough." I shrugged.

A voice from the stairs echoed out, "Ah brilliant! You're both packed up then?" we turned to see Cedric's father, Amos Diggory, descending the staircase, a large bergen backpack in tow. I shuddered at the memory of having to go on an expedition in third-year carrying one of those on my back, Ced had complained so much about his Warlock of Cardiff's expedition, and then even more two years later when he wrote to me citing how unfair it was that the third-years then had been let off easy because of Sirius Black's escape.

I had wrote back calling them lucky bastards, since i was at Beauxbatons obviously there was no threat of Sirius black jumping out from behind bushes trying to do any schoolchildren in. Ced really was lucky in that regard aswell, his parents choosing to send him to Hogwarts meant he avoided the nasty spat of rain France had that spring.

"Uh yeah." Cedric scratched the back of his neck in thought, "My bag's over there, Deidre?"

He turned to me, his amber-eyes connecting with mine as i gave him a short nod and held up a small satchel.

"Ah! An undetectable extension charm!" Amos commented happily as he took the last step, now we all stood side-by-side. "My boy, you really must take more notes from Deidre, with the way she's turned out I sometimes think you should've taken your mothers route to France." He clapped a hand on Cedric's back before going to unlock the front door.

"Yeah, well dad I can fly a broom straight, they don't even have a quidditch pitch at D's school." He smiled cheekily at me, obviously joking.

I gave him a light punch.

"Speaking of," I say, making my way out to the front of the house after Cedric and his father, "Where is Colette?"

Cedric and his father shared a quick look that i barely noticed.

"St Mungos, but not for anything bad, she just got burnt the other day tending to uh the fireplace." Cedric spoke as we walked together, Amos leading the way, i looked down at our footsteps and took two quick paces to sync them up before glancing up at the boy.

"But it's summer?" I raised a brow at him, I didn't want to press further but I was still curious.

He simply shrugged and we fell into a comfortable silence, I knew Cedric's limits.

It was something I learnt with our years of friendship.

As we walked i reached into my small satchel, due to the charm i had placed on it i was able to fit a lot into it, the only problem being getting specific items out. I rummaged around grasping at a few different items (what was a candle doing in there?) before pulling out a walkman.

I put the main cassette player into my jacket's pocket and plugged in one of the headphones, pressing play I couldn't remember what muggle song i was listening to before but i nodded my head along as I heard a tune I had been obsessed with ever since it had come out a few months prior.

𝘊𝘰𝘯𝘧𝘪𝘥𝘦𝘯𝘤𝘦 𝘪𝘴 𝘢 𝘱𝘳𝘦𝘧𝘦𝘳𝘦𝘯𝘤𝘦 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘩𝘢𝘣𝘪𝘵𝘶𝘢𝘭 𝘷𝘰𝘺𝘦𝘶𝘳 𝘰𝘧 𝘸𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘪𝘴 𝘬𝘯𝘰𝘸𝘯 𝘢𝘴 (𝙋𝙖𝙧𝙠𝙡𝙞𝙛𝙚!)

"We're meeting another family on our way," Cedric leaned down and muttered into my ear that wasn't occupied listening to music that truly made me appreciate my british side of the family. His voice was low compared to it.

𝘈𝘯𝘥 𝘮𝘰𝘳𝘯𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘴𝘰𝘶𝘱 𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘣𝘦 𝘢𝘷𝘰𝘪𝘥𝘦𝘥 𝘪𝘧 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘵𝘢𝘬𝘦 𝘢 𝘳𝘰𝘶𝘵𝘦 𝘴𝘵𝘳𝘢𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵 𝘵𝘩𝘳𝘰𝘶𝘨𝘩 𝘸𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘪𝘴 𝘬𝘯𝘰𝘸𝘯 𝘢𝘴 (𝙋𝙖𝙧𝙠𝙡𝙞𝙛𝙚!)

"Okay cool, what are they like?" I asked

𝘑𝘰𝘩𝘯'𝘴 𝘨𝘰𝘵 𝘣𝘳𝘦𝘸𝘦𝘳'𝘴 𝘥𝘳𝘰𝘰𝘱, 𝘩𝘦 𝘨𝘦𝘵𝘴 𝘪𝘯𝘵𝘪𝘮𝘪𝘥𝘢𝘵𝘦𝘥 𝘣𝘺 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘥𝘪𝘳𝘵𝘺 𝘱𝘪𝘨𝘦𝘰𝘯𝘴, 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘺 𝘭𝘰𝘷𝘦 𝘢 𝘣𝘪𝘵 𝘰𝘧 𝘪𝘵 (𝙋𝙖𝙧𝙠𝙡𝙞𝙛𝙚!)

"Well they're 𝘢𝘭𝘭 Gryffindor's." He started off.

𝘞𝘩𝘰'𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘨𝘶𝘵 𝘭𝘰𝘳𝘥 𝘮𝘢𝘳𝘤𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨? 𝘠𝘰𝘶 𝘴𝘩𝘰𝘶𝘭𝘥 𝘤𝘶𝘵 𝘥𝘰𝘸𝘯 𝘰𝘯 𝘺𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘱𝘰𝘳𝘬 𝘭𝘪𝘧𝘦 𝘮𝘢𝘵𝘦, 𝘨𝘦𝘵 𝘴𝘰𝘮𝘦 𝘦𝘹𝘦𝘳𝘤𝘪𝘴𝘦

"The 'brave but half-the-time incredibly stupid' house?" I asked for confirmation before bopping my head more energetically as the chorus started up.

𝘼𝙡𝙡 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙥𝙚𝙤𝙥𝙡𝙚, 𝙎𝙤 𝙢𝙖𝙣𝙮 𝙥𝙚𝙤𝙥𝙡𝙚

"Yes." he confirmed, before looking at me, his lips quirking into a smile. "You listening to your muggle music again?"

𝘼𝙣𝙙 𝙩𝙝𝙚𝙮 𝙖𝙡𝙡 𝙜𝙤 𝙝𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙞𝙣 𝙝𝙖𝙣𝙙

𝙃𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙞𝙣 𝙝𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙩𝙝𝙧𝙤𝙪𝙜𝙝 𝙩𝙝𝙚𝙞𝙧 𝙥𝙖𝙧𝙠𝙡𝙞𝙛𝙚

I simply smiled back at him, noticing a rather large oak tree where Amos had gestured towards us, waving his hand wildly.

𝙆𝙣𝙤𝙬 𝙬𝙝𝙖𝙩 𝙄 𝙢𝙚𝙖𝙣?

I grinned at Ced, pulling him back as i started to run the uphill twenty-metre stretch, I heard him squawk in surprise and then i heard the paces he took in an attempt to catch up to me.

ᴍᴊ'ꜱ ᴄᴏʀɴᴇʀ 💞
- hello! i honestly have no clue what to say here but i hope you like it so far :)
- trying to keep this time-period accurate GOF is set in 1994-95 and parklife released early 1994 
- the expedition i mentioned isn't canon, it's based off of a thing in the uk called DofE!
- stay safe!! <3