one | 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘀𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗻

We reached the top of the hill and basked in the oak tree's cool shade, protecting the three of us from the blistering heat of the fully risen sun

I leaned forward, the sweat of my palms on my thighs as i caught my breath, the countryside air filling my lungs in a satisfying way that the city didn't.

I yelped as i felt Cedric knock into me from behind, his wild laughter continuing as we both fell onto the long green grass, I wriggled around, my laughter mixing with his as i attempted to roll my way out from under him.

"Ced! Get off me you mangy git!" I shouted as I grappled with him.

"Nope, you're stuck with me Deidre." he said, lying down like a ragdoll, his body relaxed and limp but a heavy weight on my body.

I managed to get him off me after Amos had told us he could see the Weasley's approaching, not paying any mind to our bickering, and instead pouring himself a flask of hot tea as he watched the moving ginger specks surrounded by a field of green.

"You actually have the mental age of a five-year-old." I scoffed, getting up and brushing grass off of me, cringing as i saw a few bugs up my arm, swatting them off.

He ignored my insult, eyes following the bugs flying away, his gaze then turning back towards me, as we locked eyes once more a small smile was evident on his face.

"Do you remember that boggart we found in your attic when we were ten?" He questioned, the smile morphing into a wide grin.

I couldn't help but mirror it, my lips quirking up, my head nodding as I recalled it.

"I screamed so loudly when i saw that spider." I laughed.

He nodded along, "What was I saying before now again?"

"You didn't say much when you attempted to crush me to death."

"Not that, sorry I should've phrased it better, I remember now."

"What was the bloody point in asking then?-"

"Anyways-" he cut in "I was going to speak with you about the people we're meeting with."

"What's there to say?"

"Not much really," he shrugged, "just because it's a bit of a walk to the portkey from here they might talk to you."

I rolled my eyes, "I'm capable of speaking to others Ced."

"Are you sure?" He questioned cheekily, before I swatted the back of his neck, similarly to how I had previously done the bugs.

He rubbed the back of his neck and continued, "Yeah uh, I was going to say that there's a pair of twins around our age, they're quite.." he thought for an appropriate word to sum up the redheaded pranksters (the task being unexpectedly difficult).

"Outgoing." he settled on.

I furrowed my brows in thought, a sense of familiarity coming to me, I gasped and turned to him.

"Merlin's beard! The one's who enchanted bludgers to chase after your team when you booked the pitch on the same day as theirs?" i recalled one of his letters whilst crossing my arms, an amused smile playing on my lips.

"It was the Slytherin team, but yeah." he corrected, "Just be careful, you have a personality I think they'd get along with."

"What's wrong with that then?"

He simply raised a brow at me, "You're already like this, I don't need your ego to be amplified or I'd get a heart attack from being forced to deal with it." he said as he smirked.

My jaw dropped, "bachie coupe! "

I told him to fuck off, wary of Amos a few feet away, despite Cedric's father humming a Celestina Warbeck song i had heard on the radio a few days prior I could tell he was partially listening to our conversation as he sipped his tea.

Cedric shot me another annoyingly-perfect grin, and raising his hands defensively, he walked backwards.

Acting overly offended by our bickering, I turned away to stand by Amos, stowing my walkman away back into my bag as i did.

Out of the corner of my eye i saw him jump up and grab onto a branch of the oak-tree.

As I stood by the older Diggory I scanned the field, the long and wild grass billowing in the wind, it's unkempt state adding to the charm of the countryside. I counted seven figures making their way towards us, five of them having the 'signature fiery red' cedric had described to me the evening beforehand.

As they drew closer I noticed the boys (even the dark-haired one) has ill-fitting clothes, often with patches, and cleanly sewn stitches that if were pulled out I was sure would unravel to reveal rips and tears. The girls and the father (i had assumed the adult man was the father and didn't just have an eerily similar appearance to most of the group) seemed to have better-quality and newer-looking ones.

I surpressed a smile as I noticed two of the same face in the group, immediately clocking onto what Cedric had said a few minutes beforehand.

"Arthur! It's about time son." I jolted a little as Amos yelled to the group who had finally made it up the hill.

"Sorry Amos. Some of us had a bit of a sleepy start." The ginger man had greeted us with a warm smile but had shot a not-so subtle glare to the multiple children behind him. "This is Amos Diggory everyone, he works with me at the ministry." He further explained while his gaze fixated on the pair of twins, mentally signally to them to not embarrass themselves infront of the Ministry official.

I furrowed my brows slightly as most of the group had varying degrees of reactions to the name 'Diggory'.

My attention was captured again as the man's eyes turned to me.

He smiled softly again, this time I could appreciate his kind face up-close, there were freckles dotted around his face and prominent wrinkles crinkling around his eyes, lingering evidence of frequent smiles and laughter.

"And this young lady must be Deidre, am I correct?" I was slightly surprised he knew of me, but nonetheless, I shook his outstretched hand.

"Your mother was an amazing asset in international affairs and magical creatures to the Ministry after You-know-who's death." I smiled weakly having heard this story from many adults. "You look uncannily like her apart from-"

"-my hair and nose." I finished for him with a nod.

"Yes, yes, well where is she these days?" He questioned rather genuinely.

"Teaching, she stays in France over the holidays so I usually get sent over here." I replied before the sounds of twigs snapping beside me captured practically all our attention.

Drama queen, I thought, fighting the urge to roll my eyes.

ᴍᴊ'ꜱ ᴄᴏʀɴᴇʀ 🌱
- Cedric and many other hufflepuffs are absolute drama queens, prove me wrong
- soooo excited to write Deidre's first interaction with the twins seeing as they're still salty over the POA quidditch game
- Happy New Years! <3