Chapter 4: Reflect and Reveal.

Kuai Liang had returned with Tomas shortly, both men had taken their seat next to their brother. Now that everyone was present, dinner was being served. Everyone started eating in silence. You took quick glances at everyone at the table, observing the men around you. To say there was a straining unexplainable tension in the air would be an understatement. What made it worse was the moment you locked eyes with "him". You quickly averted your gaze to your plate of food, remembering that you shouldn't stare at him because it was impolite.

' Seriously (Y/n)? Get it together. '

Was what you told yourself inside your head but how could you not look at him now? This was your first time seeing him without his mask on. Actually this was your first time seeing all three of them without their masks, so of course you'd take this time to analyze their faces. Especially the Grandmaster's face.

Slowly your gaze traveled from the food in front of you to the three men across the table, first stopping at Smoke or as you recently had discovered him to be named Tomas. Eyeing his face, taking in many details. He had gentle and sweet eyes, a slender nose and small lips. Honestly he looked like what some people would call a pretty boy. Even with his scar, he looked like a sweet guy. Definitely a far cry from his brothers.

After studying Tomas' face, you moved on to Scorpion also known as Kuai Liang who was indeed very handsome. His eyes were more stern yet composed and held a fiery passion within them, he had a strong nose and his lips were thicker. You could definitely say he was more traditionally handsome. He and Tomas are more than pleasing to the eyes not to mention that they are also very skilled young men. You'd bet money that the women of their clan swoon over them.

Silently giggling to yourself with that thought, your eyes land on the Grandmaster. But as soon as he is in your sight, he stands up grabbing his mask and puts it back on while leaving the room. Disappointment filled you slightly as your eyes travel to his plate. He had finished his meal rather quickly and probably felt no need to stay. There was no need to stay actually. You looked over to Tomas and Kuai Liang, Kuai Liang gave you a curt nod while letting out an exhausted sigh and Tomas just gave you a gentle smile, which you returned of course.

" So darling? Why'd Grandmaster Grumpy pants call you a thief..? " Johnny unexpectedly and unfortunately had opened his mouth to speak once again. Kung Lao and Raiden had perked up slightly at his question, curiosity unbecoming of them. To say you're annoyed and surprised that he's talking to you is an understatement...

With an agitated sigh leaving your lips, you replied.

" I attempted to steal valuables from this temple. Just like I had done before in other locations for years.. The Grandmaster and his brothers captured me last night per Lord Liu Kang's request.. So in that regard, Grandmaster Sub-Zero is more than correct to call me a lowly petty thief... " Your eyes were fixed on the empty plate in front of you. Looking back on those years, that's exactly how you felt.. Empty...

After giving your answer, you stood up immediately and left the room, feeling many eyes on you as you did. The tension in the room was thicker than earlier. Everyone but Liu Kang turned their gaze to Johnny, anger embedded in their eyes. Kung Lao was going to say something but Liu Kang cut him off with a firm clap of his hands as he stood up from his seat.

" Dinner is adjourned for the evening.. remember that you are all here not only to fight for Earthrealm but also to find a form of discipline and change to aid in the struggles you face.. That is also true for (Y/n). Do not forget that. " With that said, he left his champions to dwell on the words he spoke.

The night air was welcoming and brisk on your skin. You decided to take a walk after your explanation in the dining hall. Much like last night, the moon illuminated your surroundings bringing forth a sense of peace. The night time always made you feel this way... Serene exhilaration you could say. You never knew why the night made you feel this way and until now you never really thought about it. For some reason you knew that if you thought about it, you wouldn't like the conclusion that you came to.. So why were you thinking about it now...? Why had Johnny's question bothered you at all..? Why did reflecting on your past leave you feeling empty..? All of these questions left your head spinning and in the end no answers at all. Instead you got a headache and mental exhaustion.