Chapter 3: Solo

Season 1, Episode 3

Maria runs to the front of the Grant household, seeing May being loaded into the back of an ambulance, "Athena! Athena! Is May okay? What happened?"

"I-I don't know! I found her in her room. Sh-she overdosed on-on my-my-my-"

Seeing Harry standing next to his mom, Maria puts a hand on her partner's shoulder, "Go with May. I'll take care of Harry until either you or Michael can get back here. I've got him."

As Athena gets in the back with May before the ambulance drives away, Harry looks to Maria, "Is May going to be okay?"

"Of course she will be," Maria promises him as she guides them into the house, "Why don't you grab your laptop and backpack so I can help you with your homework."

"May's in the hospital, is this really the time to do homework?" Harry questions.

"Yes. Do you really want to face your mother after this is all over and not have your homework done?" Maria puts her fists on her hips, tilting her head.

Harry sighs, turning to his room, "No, I guess not."

Maria smiles turning to the kitchen and starts cleaning the dishes that were left in the sink. Putting her phone on the counter, she starts playing some music before she's interrupted by her phone ringing.

"Hey, dad, now's not really a good time," Maria holds her phone between her head and her shoulder as she continues doing the dishes.

"What's going on? Everything okay?" He asks.

"Uh, not really. Well, I'm fine but Athena's daughter May...she's in the hospital. I'm over at the Grant household to watch Harry while Michael and Athena are with May."

"We can talk later then. Tell the Grants that everybody at the firehouse is pulling for May," Bobby tells his daughter.

Setting the last dish in the dishwasher and starting it, Maria takes her phone in her hand, "I will," Harry sets his notebook on the table, "For now, looks like Harry needs some help with his math homework. Uh, do any of you down at the firehouse know anything about fractions?"

"Uh...."

Maria nods, "Well, looks like I know what I'm doing for the next hour."

Bobby snorts, "I wish you luck."

✆✆✆✆

After a few hours, Harry is in his room playing video games while Maria sits in the living room and looks over some study materials for the Detective's exam coming up. She'd been thinking of next steps for her career for a while. Athena really wants her to follow in her footsteps and become a Sergeant, but Maria's always been a curious person. Her mom used to joke that there was never an answer that she could not find. 

"Hey, where's Harry?" Michael asks as he closes the front door behind him and Athena.

Maria is quick to hide the books, "Oh, uh, good. In his room, I just checked on him about ten minutes ago. How's May? CPS kick you guys out?"

Athena nods, throwing her coat on the chair, "Yeah. You still have that contact down at that services facility where kids are usually taken?"

"Yeah. Margret. I'll give her a call and make sure that May is taken care of," Maria fishes her phone out from under all her books, "Don't worry you two. May will be back, under this roof, within a few days. You two just need to focus on not causing problems."

"When have we ever caused problems?" Michael asks.

✆✆✆✆

Every so often, Athena and Maria do not work together. Today is one of those days. So while Athena watches her daughter's bully, Maria is on the other side of the city.

Pulling up to the parking lot, Maria sees the 118 pulling in at the same time, "Give me the run down!" 

"Woman called 911 when she heard banging from inside the truck," An officer starts to tell her and Bobby, "Truck is registered out of Texas. We're still looking for the driver."

"Probably immigrants who thought they could trust somebody was were left to die because of it. It's got to be over 100 degrees in there," Maria shakes her head.

"Buck!" Bobby calls.

Maria looks to her dad, "Hey, I heard about Chimney. How's he doing?"

Bobby shrugs, "Still in surgery. All we can do now is hope and pray and do our jobs."

She fixes him with a look, "If you need to talk, you know where I am. Don't go off the deep end just because someone got hurt off shift. That's how people on shift can get hurt."

With that said, Maria heads to the cab of the truck while the 118 cut open the back as people yell from inside at the commotion outside. Looking around, Maria sees the driver's license on the mirror. 

The back is finally open as firefighters, paramedics, and police officers all work to get everybody out of the back. Spotting a man trying to make his way away from the crowd, Maria calls out.

"Stop! Police!" She quickly runs, tackling him and putting her knee on his back to bring his arms around, "You're under arrest for human trafficking, and child endangerment. You better pray none of them die or it's an added charge for murder."

As she pushes the guy into the back of a squad car, Maria turns to see Buck, Hen and Bobby looking at her in surprise, "What?"

"You are so much stronger than you look," Buck comments, "It's kind of ho-" He looks at Bobby, "Ho-impressive. I was go-going to say impressive."

"No you weren't," Hen shakes her head, "But that was impressive. You've got to teach me that some time."

Maria chuckles, "It's all about timing. From what I've heard, Buck's weakness is time."

Even Bobby has to turn away to hide his laugh as Hen doesn't even hide it and bursts out laughing in Buck's face while the man himself sighs and nods, "You are a tricky and irritating woman, Maria Nash."

"That's Officer Maria Nash to you Buckley," Maria pats the firefighter on the shoulder as she pushes past him, "Oh, and don't forget that I'm a hot, tricky and irritating woman."

Buck watches her walk away, "Yeah. Can't argue that."

Bobby turns to him, "That's my daughter you're talking about."

"Sh-she said it first!" Buck tries to defend himself as the rest of his team walk back to the truck.

"You have no defense here," Hen shakes her head, "But please, keep trying. It's very entertaining."

✆✆✆✆

AN: There wasn't really a good place to try and fit Maria in here so I kind of just did whatever with her.

I wish I could just fast forward through all of this and it be time for Eddie/Maria/Buck because as I rewatch seasons 2-4, I am so looking forward to adding Maria.

QoC: Who is your least favorite character?

Thank you for all of the votes and reads and comments!!