Chapter 5: Help

Season 1, Episode 5

Maria sighs, "How am I supposed to trust him? He completely ignored the biggest promise he'd ever made to me."

"It was a bad crash," Athena reminds her.

"That doesn't matter," Maria shakes her head, "He promised me he would never drink again after...after the accident. If we have to go to the same call as the 118, I'll-"

Athena interrupts her, "Treat the Captain with respect and listen to him."

Maria scoffs, "Hell no."

"I know you did not just take that tone of voice with me. I know you and your father have your problems but you do not bring them onto the streets when you're driving with me," Athena tells her, "If you don't like it, find another cop to ride with."

The Police Captain interrupts their conversation, "Nash, you'll ride with McCollins. Grant, you're on desk duty while this issue with the Creedy's is dealt with."

"Captain-" Athena starts to argue.

Maria smirks, "Remember, Sergeant Grant, we treat Captain's with respect and listen to them."

Athena glares slightly at her partner, "Yes, Captain."

✆✆✆✆

Hearing a knock, she opens her apartment door, but then Maria almost closes it when she sees who's on the other side, "Wait. I need your help."

"What? Can't handle my dad after a binger? It's not fun, is it?" Maria leans against her doorframe with her arms cross as she looks at Buck.

"It's not that. Abby Clark, the 911 operator, her mom is missing. She has Alzheimer's. Can you help us look for her?" Buck says, almost pleading with the officer.

Maria turns to grab her badge and coat, "I will always help the citizens of LA. Don't think this makes us okay after calling me a bitch."

Buck sighs, walking with Maria towards his jeep, "Look, I'm sorry. You were right, I have no idea what your's and Bobby's relationship is like. I had no right to call you a bitch."

She smiles, "I accept your apology."

"However," Buck starts again.

"No, you were doing so well, Buck," Maria sighs.

"However," Buck continues, "Maybe your dad just needs to hear you support him. That you don't think he's going to fail."

Maria chokes out a laugh, "Do you even know why I hate his drinking? He's not a mean drunk, I mean, you saw that. He's not harsh or abusive."

Buck starts the jeep, "So why do you hate it?"

She stares out the window, "How much do you know of the Nash family? My mom?"

He shrugs, driving after sending Abby a text, "Nothing. Honestly, we all thought you were made in some sort of lab and trusted to Bobby."

"Funny," Maria rolls her eyes, "Look, we're originally from Minnesota. I moved to LA about three years before my dad did. I wanted away from the snow and the cold."

"Okay," Buck nods.

"I have-had a younger brother and sister," Maria reveals, "Brook and Bobby Jr. Both of them and my mom died in a fire in their apartment building. My dad was drunk or high on the roof when the fire happened. He made it out, they didn't."

Buck glances over to Maria, "I'm sorry. But you know Bobby-"

Maria runs a hand over her face, "My dad told me, he's the reason they died. He's never expanded on that, never explained how expect that he had been drinking almost all night and that he and my mom had a fight right before."