Chapter 14: Heian Capital

HEIAN CAPITAL

___________________________________________

I walked slowly down the paved steps out of the mansions property into the wooded path that led to the village capital. I was walking slower than Benkei and was falling way behind him. My thought wandered; I've been put under such distrust at the same time so much care that the sheer weight of it all that I just felt like crying.

"I cant take this anymore.." i said under my breath.

I noticed that the sound of Benkeis steps stopped, he shifted toward me.

"Emily?"

"Yes?" I mustered up a smile, faked it as hard as i could and looked at him while fighting back the tears.

"Are you okay?"

I wanted to tell him everything.

"Yeah-yeah, why do you ask?"

"Something doesn't feel right"

I want to scream and tell him what they did to me.

"I am okay, i'm just so overwhelmed by everything that's all"

This was true.

"You'll be okay. I'll make sure of that"

"I believe you."

I do believe him.

We just kind of stood there in the woods staring at each other for a small period of silence. Just soaking up everything. Holding my hands behind my back I could feel my nails digging into my palms. Amd Benkei looked at me with intent. Like he was trying to read my mind. And despite all that's happened i know even THAT isn't possible.

"You look... like you fit in." He said with a calm in his voice.

"You think so?" I smiled, his 'sort of' compliment soothed my nerves for a moment. So i continued to walk toward him.

"Well, yes. It suits you. Hyouske did a fine job." He faces ahead and we start walking again.

"Thank you" I whispered. And very secretly I tried to hold his sleeve while walking.

He stopped and smiled at me, took the wide brimmed straw hat he was holding and placed it on my head.

"There, much better"

I've never worn hats before but with this kind of gesture I appreciate it so much, I just couldn't help myself.

I slid my hand under his left arm and held it.

No response. We kept walking.

"I think you're warming up to me now."

His kind silence was more than enough.

...

Reaching the capital. We just strolled through the streets. Benkei was eager to point out to me where his favorite place to drink was, where the finest vegetables, spices and ingredients that the mansion uses comes from. Where the choice area was in case you wanted to purchase a certain cord used to string bows. This was all refreshing to me. It was a distraction from the stress i felt.

And just as he said, even though I had never been here before, I wasn't noticed that much. Strange faces were not an uncommon thing here anymore due to the war. Everyday people would still travel in and out of the capital. carrying goods and animals. The morning was cheerful and loud in the markets. Far from the frightened and cold welcome we received the previous night.

Benkei pointed to me a shop that was empty and told me it used to sell heaps and heaps of flowers and explained its significance.

"It was known as the Capital of the flowers; But is in an awful state due to the internal struggle."