Chapter 10

Linda was pacing up and down the length of the table in the kitchen of the Lutheran church.  It had been 24 hours since the crash and this would be her first funeral as head of the social committee since Teresa stepped down.  She'd been on this committee for years but was used to getting orders not giving them and she could feel her chest and neck beginning to flush hot and red. 

She heard the church doors open and close and she smoothed her hands over her pants doing nothing to the permanent crease in them.  She stood at the end of the table like a funeral CEO as the women came into the kitchen and Linda wished she would have worn her pearls.  People were quiet, most of them had been there yesterday and had witnessed to crash.  People they knew passed away all the time, but not like that. 

Once the women had settled into their seats Linda sat as well.  Teresa was a stander, but Linda felt like more of the team sitting.  She opened the funeral binder to the first page and found the family wishes pages.  "Damn it," she murmured.  Linda had jumped the gun on this meeting.  No one had spoken to Dottie yet.  Surely there were things they could discuss, the hot red flush spread into her cheeks as she flipped to the second page when she sensed someone at the door. 

"Teresa!" Linda was in her feet.  Teresa stood in the doorway for a second.  "I saw all your cars outside," she admitted, "I thought you might want some help with this one."  She looked at the counter to the dry coffee pot.  "Yes, yes come in," Linda was gesturing her into the room.  "Well first things first," Teresa said walking to the corner cupboard,  "let's get some coffee on."

Without speaking to Dottie they had very little to do expect drink coffee and process the events of the previous day.  Linda was right in assuming that most of them had been at the crash and the redness in her skin subsided as she realized that there might not be much for them to do yet, but that most of the women were glad to be together just to talk about it. 

"They went to Rachel's hospital," Teresa was explaining to the group.  "Is she still on maternity?"  "Yes," Teresa had the floor, "she's on 5th floor, but when she heard what had happened she made sure to go down to emerge to meet Dottie.  There was nothing to be done."  The women nodded.  Being a nurse was such a respected position.  "Of course she couldn't tell me any details, medical professionalism and all." 

"How was Dottie," Linda asked.  "I can only assume in shock," Teresa continued.  Evelyn jumped in, "I'm so happy she wasn't there to see the crash."  They all nodded solemnly at this.  "You haven't contacted Dottie yet?" Teresa asked cocking her head towards Linda to infer that this question was directed at her.  "No I, just thought we'd get a jump on things."  Teresa tipped her coffee cup back and forth swirling the coffee in her cup.  She could hear the lack of confidence in Linda's voice. 

"Do you want me to make arrangements with Dottie to meet?"  Teresa offered but didn't want to overstep.  "I have a lasagna to take out to her later today anywa..." Before she could finish her sentence Linda had said, "Yes! That would be great.  Thank you.  Do you want me to come with you?"  Teresa pretended to contemplate it for a second before turning down the offer.  "Let's not overwhelm her.  She'll be expecting me anyhow."

Teresa finished her coffee,  "What say you ladies? Can we meet back here tomorrow at the same time?"  Linda noticed that Teresa was standing as she addressed the room clearly in charge.  "Great," she clapped and kept her hands clasped in front  of her before letting anyone protest.  Teresa glided out of the room, followed by the other ladies.  Linda was the last to leave and when she looked down to collect the funeral planning binder noticed that it was gone.